SCOM and Forefront Databases coexistence RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I need to migrate a Forefront database to a SQL server that also hosts a SCOM Database.

This is what I have experienced thus far.

The Forefront Collection database componants doesn’t install on the SQL server hosting the SCOM database. (Both in and out of the same instance)

Also after a couple of failures and retries the Reporting servers doesn’t work anymore.

Anyone out there installed FCS and SCOM on the same SQL server, and got it to coexist? Plus, could you please be so kind to share your approach?

Reading a few posts, my understanding is that this is not recommended or supported.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

As far as I know, SCOM 2007 is not supported in Forefront V1. FCS working with MOM 2005 would be a good decision. In our next version, codename “Stirling”, is built on System Center Operations Manager as the main communication channel between the management console and the protected assets to set policies, execute tasks, and report events. Customers with existing SCOM deployments will be able to easily install “Stirling” on top of this existing infrastructure.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:36 AM

All replies

• As a matter of interest, you are aware that you would need to upgrade the SCOM SQL to a fully licensed version if you want to run additional databases on it?
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:39 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting.

As far as I know, SCOM 2007 is not supported in Forefront V1. FCS working with MOM 2005 would be a good decision. In our next version, codename “Stirling”, is built on System Center Operations Manager as the main communication channel between the management console and the protected assets to set policies, execute tasks, and report events. Customers with existing SCOM deployments will be able to easily install “Stirling” on top of this existing infrastructure.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:36 AM
  • Yoy have confirmed this to be fact now Nick?

Thanks
    Keith
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:55 AM