none
backup tapes dpm 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm very new to dpm so the terminology is a little hazy for me.  My current predicament is this.  I have about 70 tapes.  2 stand along tape drives.  backup to tapes are not working.  i see the protection groups and it seems easy enough... the long term protection and then a backup to tape.  its not working.  currently i am getting this error

The back up to tape job failed for the following reason: (ID: 3311)

Backup of Non VSS Datasource Writer on *************.com cannot be completed. DPM could not find a valid recovery point on disk. (ID: 30126)

that error is in the event viewer.

the current status on the tape drive is...  In use  but notta is spinning or working... any ideas?

Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When performing disk to disk to tape backups (d2D2T), tape backups will fail if a new disk based backup is not created before the next scheduled tape backup.  DPM always makes tape backups by mounting last successful disk based recovery point.  This is so we don't need to transfer data over the network since that most recent data is already on the DPM server. Look to see why the disk recovery points are failing and correct that to prevent tape backups from failing.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:58 PM