none
"Bugs by Design" named Windows Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

there are some fatal "developments" on the side of Microsoft related to Windows updates. Microsoft calls all: it is by design. We call it "Bugs by Design".

We manage Windows Updates using Group Policý for all versions of Windows Server.

"Bugs by Design" Nr.1

Windows Server 2016/2019 restarts automatically in "any" time (for example, out of business hours) after Windows updates are installed on any Windows Server 2016/2019. This ist not the case on the previous versions (Windows Server 2012 R2/2008 R2).

"Bugs by Design" Nr. 2:

If any administrator checks the updates manually on Windows Server 2016/2019, the Windows update process begins to download / install all updates. This is also not the case for the previous OS versions.

"Bugs by Design" Nr. 3:

Why does "3- Auto download and notify for install" in "Configure Automatic Updates" include "Scheduled install day" and "Scheduled install time". I expect in this option only "download and notify", not scheduling! Or, Microsoft can develop another option under "Configure Automatic Updates" for example "6- Auto download and notify for install, but not schedule to install".

We have found no solution to avoid these behaviours!

OK, you mean perhaps we deployed our Group Policy settings not correctly. I am sure we did, otherwise we cannot explain two different behaviours between previous OS versions and the versions 2016/2019.

I list here GPO Settings:

On a Server side the AU registry keys related to Windows Updates:

Best regards

Birdal

• Edited by _Birdal Monday, May 27, 2019 8:21 AM
    Monday, May 27, 2019 8:13 AM

All replies

• After asking almost the same question here (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/be237a44-f56c-437d-acd3-9146eeebf063/updating-windows-server-2016-at-a-specific-time?forum=winservergen) I opened the case with MS: I just wished to know whether an administrator can be "the master of his/her server(s)" in terms of when to restart the server(s) after downloading and installing updates. MS has confirmed there's "an issue with some of the build versions"...including Windows Server 2016.

Providing that Windows Server 2019 still has this bug, seems MS is not going to fix it so the only way to work around it is to do something like that:

"Server co-workers come in on weekend to manually do updates."

Regards,
    Michael

Monday, May 27, 2019 10:40 AM
  • P.S. One interesting fact: before confirming that there's a bug in Windows Server 2016 MS support was trying to start a troubleshooting process on my server (in this case I had to pay for this case while if it were a bug the charge would not apply) - I wonder doesn't MS support has the list of bugs at hand (at least of well-known bugs) when they make a decision wthether to try to fix something on client's side or just say it's a bug???
    Monday, May 27, 2019 10:52 AM
  • I believe that Microsoft wants that the updates be immediately installed after they are available (w10=w2016) and avoid situation when a virus or malware takes action because updates were not installed. We will never know. What we did before with all windows server versions till 2016 is to disable automatic updates and with script set a timing when the updates will be download+installed and when the servers will be reboot. 

Unfortunately the problem with manually checking the updates on W2016 server remains unsolved.

Monday, May 27, 2019 11:00 AM
  • Hi Michael,

did Microsoft give any deadline to solve these bugs?

Yes, Windows Server 2019 has also these bugs, and far worse than Windows Server 2016!!!

@MICROSOFT: When will you finally give any Feedback about these bugs?

Best regards

Birdal

Monday, May 27, 2019 12:22 PM
  • Ha-ha, they even didn't tell me they'were going to fix it...

Monday, May 27, 2019 12:25 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your sharing.

We could submit those potential issues in the following link to give Microsoft a valuable feedback and I am going to submit this case to Microsoft via our channel. 

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Yilia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 2:11 AM
  • Thank you, Yilia!

Regards,
    Michael

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 8:30 AM