none
DPM 2010 Client Protection Setting Size Restriction RRS feed

• Question

• All,

I have seto a test bed for Client protection and have set a limit of 5GB per client during the protection group creation.

As a test I configured the client to backup using a policy setting d:\docs to be protected.

I had 8GB of data in the docs folder - this exxceeds the 5GB of client data that I have allowed per device.

Cannot find any articles or answers as to why the backup does not stop or warn to say the user has exceeded the allowed 5GB.

Also I see that athough you can shrink the RPV you cannot alter the RP size that gets pre-allocated, can this be shrunk as its allocated 50GB and currently im using 8GB.

Any ideas - appreciated - thanks Steve.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:57 PM

Answers

• hi Steve

The current inbox implementation does not as such impose quota limit but we have developed out of box script that you should run providing the size you want to limit as quota for the DPM, Send me a mail vrmurthy[at]microsoft[dot]com to recieve the script. this is not a thorough script handling all scenarios but provides some basic quota management.

Another way to handle this is by using disk usage reporting. The usage reports tell how much disk is used per client whether its over the assigned size per client/not.

Thanks VRMURHTY [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

When you create the client protection group there is not a place to create a size limit for the clients. On the Allocate Storage page of the wizard there is a place to set a size per computer, but this setting will not limit the size once backups have begun and is only a setting for the creation of the replica volume. A solution would be to utilize Disk Quotas on the clients.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:12 PM
  • Hi - thanks.

I just thought that there may be some way of doing this. As I need to budget for disk space and would prefer a central policy.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 8:55 PM
  • hi Steve

The current inbox implementation does not as such impose quota limit but we have developed out of box script that you should run providing the size you want to limit as quota for the DPM, Send me a mail vrmurthy[at]microsoft[dot]com to recieve the script. this is not a thorough script handling all scenarios but provides some basic quota management.

Another way to handle this is by using disk usage reporting. The usage reports tell how much disk is used per client whether its over the assigned size per client/not.

Thanks VRMURHTY [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:49 PM
  • hi Steve,

here is the blog pointer for imposing client quota: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/05/02/a-script-to-set-or-remove-disk-quotas-for-protected-client-computers-in-system-center-data-protection-manager.aspx

Friday, June 17, 2011 9:07 AM