WSUS client Windows server 2012 version 7.8.9200.17185 can not report his status to WSUS server version 6.3.9600.16384 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

we are experiencing trouble with one WSUS client which is running on Windows server 2012 and WUAgent is at version 7.8.9200.17185. This server was installed by fresh installation (no cloned). This server is presented at WSUS admin console but is at status:  "Not reported yet". We are not able to persuade this client to report to WSUS server.

We went through a lot of articles where similar issues was described but sofar no solution was found.

What we did already:

Remove wsus client from Admin console, restart WSUS client OS and WSUS server as well. Restart WUAUSERV on client, wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow, wuauclt /reportnow. We Reseted Windows update settings on client according article:

Article ID: 971058

We ran Solarwinds diagnostic tool for WSUS Agent but no errors found. We captured communication between client and wsus server via Wireshark as well. Devices communicate properly and all required ports are opened. We checked windowsupdatelog, applog on server and client as well.

There is a copy of windows update log from client:

2015-04-20 11:03:09:976  860 12c8 WS FATAL: OnCallFailure(hrCall, m_error) failed with hr=0x80240439

2015-04-20 11:03:09:976  860 12c8 WS WARNING: Nws Failure: errorCode=0x803d0000

2015-04-20 11:03:09:976  860 12c8 Report WARNING: Failed to upload events to the server with hr = 80240439.
    2015-04-20 11:03:09:976  860 12c8 Report WARNING: Reporter failed to upload events with hr = 80240439.

Do you anybody have idea how to solve this issue please? Any help or suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Michal Bures

Czech Republic

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 9:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Michal,

Error 80240439 means that the data received does not meet the data contract expectations.

Please check if there is any warning or error in the event viewer of the WSUS server and client.

Also, please check if the link below is helpful:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archive/2009/02/19/troubleshooting-guide-for-issues-where-wsus-clients-are-not-reporting-in.aspx

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 10:00 AM
  • Hi Steven,

thx for your post. I have already check applog at client and server. There are no errors related to WSUS or windows update agent. I checked website which you sent me. This is very useful website. Thanks for that.
    I performed check of NTFS and IIS permissions according to recommendation. At IIS is no 400.x related error as well. Process monitor discovered several "access denied" errors related to sqlserv process. I repaired these "access denied" errors but trouble with "no reporting" still persists. Weird is that this is only one server W2012 which is not reporting to our WSUS. Other servers W2012 and W2012R2 and clients W7/8.1 are reporting without any issues on regular basis.
    Could you recommend to me another advice? Many thanks. One last hint I think that reinstallation of Windows update agent would be solve this issue. But I am not able to find out suitable version for W2012. If I go to this WUA from page KB 949104 (

All supported x64-based versions of Windows Server 2012 (KB2937636))
    "

and download version for W2012 - setup fails with error: "The update is not applicable to your computer". It is weird because I am pretty sure that I am downloading correct version. Maybe some patch is missing as predecessor - not sure which one...

Many thanks for your advice.

Michal Bures
    Czech Republic

Friday, April 24, 2015 7:29 PM
  • Hi Michal,

>>"The update is not applicable to your computer"

According to the official document, KB2937636 will update the WUA to 7.8.9200.16925. But your WUA version is higher than it.

For detailed information, please refer to the file information in the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2887535

Because other WSUS clients work properly, I assume that the issue was caused by the client.

Have your tried to run the DISM to check if the system file is corrupt in the client?

For the detailed steps, please click the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, April 26, 2015 1:57 PM
  • Hi Steven, thx for your clarification. I have the same opinion as you that I guess that trouble is at client. Does exist any possibility to reinstall WUA at version 7.8.9200.17185 or try to downgrade from this version to lower functional version?

According to DISM. I performed it in the past but without no luck:-(. Some system files were repaired but WUA does not report still.

Do you have any other advice? If you need more information from windows update log, I can provide to you.

Thx a lot.

Michal

Monday, April 27, 2015 7:47 AM
  • Michal,

Was there any resolution to this?  I seem to have a few machines that match your description, and have done the same steps to resolve as you without any resolution.

Thanks

Jim

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 6:48 PM