Troublrshooting problem 8 bit color RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded this magazine file and now everytime i startup a certain program cdisplay the display reverts to 8 bit colour. how do i fix this thanks
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 9:13 AM

All replies

• my system boots in 32 bit color, then reverts to 8 bit color, I can change it back to 32 bit color, then the 8 bit color option is no longer available, I have to do this every time the system boots, have installed the latest drivers for my 6600gt card, made no differance, running xp3000amd on jetway nforce2pap ultra mb, xp pro service pack 2,

problem only occurs if I log on as administrator or profile that has administrator privilledges, when logging on as guest fault does not occur, how weird is that,

hope you can help as formatting is a pain

Thursday, April 3, 2008 11:54 AM
  • I'm having this same problem "...system boots in 32 bit color, then reverts to 8 bit color, I can change it back to 32 bit color, then the 8 bit color option is no longer available,,," on my HP Blackbird 002, Intel Q9450, (2) 9800GT in SLI, 4GB RAM, Vista Premium SP1, 30" Gateway Extreme 1600p.

It's been over (2) months now and I've spent many hours on multiple occasions trying to resolve this. So far I've determined this only happens upon logging in. After applications load the screen goes dark and comes back in low res 8-bit with graphics so poor the title bar on windows isn't readable (I discovered I could guess where the 'x' iswell enough to close things). If I logout the color reverts back to the 32-bit high resolution again. So, it has something to do with user settings...but what? I've tried everything with settings for the display and no luck. I figure it can't be the drivers since it works fine before and after each logon....wierd it is!

My security is current/comprehensive.

Any suggestions ?
    • Proposed as answer by Ciscosteve Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:41 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 9:23 AM
  • I was working on a Dell Inspiron 1100 and it had the same issue with the video going back and forth from 8 bit to 32bit color.  I found that there was a dialing program from People PC that when it loaded (this was a system startup item) it caused this issue and once it was prevented from starting up would fix the issue until you manually ran the dialer program again.  If you don't have this I would first go to the system configuration utility and turn off every singl thing in the startup queue and then reboot the computer and see if that works and if so then I would slowly check programs again and reboot the computer until you find the program which caused the issue.  To get to the system configuration click start and go to run, in the ron box type in "msconfig" (without the quotes) and click ok, once this runs click on the startup tab near the top and click unselect all (button is on the lower right hand corner) and then click ok and then click restart.  Once that is done see if that will fix the issue and then try the steps above and recheck some startup items untill you find the one program that is causing you issue, but for me it was people pc which I had to remove from the computer, and to remove a program just click on start, control panel, and double click on add/remove programs and once this opens just look for people pc and click on it and then click on change/remove and follow the uninstallation instructions and you are all set, and I hope this works for you.
    • Proposed as answer by Ciscosteve Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:53 AM
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:51 AM