RADIUS Limitations RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Guys,

I have made a RADIUS server for my WiFi. Is there a way to configure how much devices you can connect with 1 account? I would like to set the maximum devices per user to 3.

Sorry for my bad english,

Greats,

Ruben

Friday, November 29, 2013 1:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Ruben,

This is not possible without some kind of complex script - as far as I know.

In other words, you could create a logon and logoff script which would increment a number in a file on the network when they logged on and decrement the number when they logged off. If they logged on multiple times with different devices you would see this. I've never tried such a thing, it is just something I imagine might work if it was really critical this be done.

How to use the number of logons to limit future logons would be another matter but there is probably a method for this. AFAIK, you cannot do it easily with RADIUS because this doesn't track the history of user logons in such a way that it can be applied to a current logon.

Thanks,

-Greg

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, I am sorry to say that I am not clear about your question. If what you meant is the number of RADIUS clients, it depends on the edition of your operate system. For more detailed information, please refer to the link below:

Network Policy Server Operations Guide

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770442(v=ws.10).aspx

Best regards,

Susie

Monday, December 2, 2013 7:35 AM
  • Hi Susie,

I have configured RADIUS for our Wifi. It's running on 2012 R2 and my question is: 

There are 1100 users, I want a limitation for every user. Every user can connect 3 devices (For example; 1 Phone, 1 Laptop and 1 Tablet). More not. Where can I Configure that?

Best regards,

Ruben

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:38 AM
  • Hi,

Sorrt to say that I am not familar with this kind of configuration. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Susie

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 7:34 AM
  • Hi Ruben,

This is not possible without some kind of complex script - as far as I know.

In other words, you could create a logon and logoff script which would increment a number in a file on the network when they logged on and decrement the number when they logged off. If they logged on multiple times with different devices you would see this. I've never tried such a thing, it is just something I imagine might work if it was really critical this be done.

How to use the number of logons to limit future logons would be another matter but there is probably a method for this. AFAIK, you cannot do it easily with RADIUS because this doesn't track the history of user logons in such a way that it can be applied to a current logon.

Thanks,

-Greg

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:26 PM