none
Project Server 2010 Disable BCM RRS feed

• Question

• Currently using Project Server 2010 backward compatibility mode and we now have all clients upgraded to Project Pro 2010.  We are looking to disable BCM and trying to figure out how best to make the change. 

Initial testing shows that master plans and cross-project links do indeed break when plans are stored in different versions.  This is as expected behavior.  However, one concern is that we cannot back out of a change.  As soon as one of the plans is opened and saved, there is no way to make it back into 2007 compatibility mode to see the plan(s) as they existed before.

So the question is should we run a powershell script to open and save all the plans, or ask the users to do it as needed?  I am concerned about unknown-unknowns also.  What is your experience?  Are there any downstream impacts to reporting for example?

Thanks. 

Eric Engle

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You've hit the nail on the head, the only real issue with turning off BCM is with master schedules that don't get upgraded and stay in compatability mode, however these are easily addressed. In the last migration I did where we turned BCM off, I wrote a small db script on the reporting dB to identify any master projects and then went in manually to convert those projects over to 2010 mode. 

As for backing out of the change, I would perhaps look at leveraging the Archive DB and PS's in built archive capability to backup all projects prior to turning off BCM. This could be used to restore, but please test it

Of course, as BCM is non reversible, make sure you have tested this and are 100% comfortable before unchecking the option.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Monday, February 27, 2012 12:55 AM

All replies

• Over 100 views with no replys.  I assume we are the only PS2010 users who have ever turned off BCM?  or it is a simple a change with no noteworthy risks?

Eric Engle

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:27 PM
  • Hi Eric,

I assume most people are looking at like me: I am not aware of any issues. But that really does not mean, that there are no potential issues with your installation. Most of the time, I advise my customers to keep BCM period as short as possible - but in these cases, I know their environments.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Hi,

You've hit the nail on the head, the only real issue with turning off BCM is with master schedules that don't get upgraded and stay in compatability mode, however these are easily addressed. In the last migration I did where we turned BCM off, I wrote a small db script on the reporting dB to identify any master projects and then went in manually to convert those projects over to 2010 mode. 

As for backing out of the change, I would perhaps look at leveraging the Archive DB and PS's in built archive capability to backup all projects prior to turning off BCM. This could be used to restore, but please test it

Of course, as BCM is non reversible, make sure you have tested this and are 100% comfortable before unchecking the option.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Monday, February 27, 2012 12:55 AM
  • Thank you for your replies.

I appreciate the insights.

Eric

Eric Engle

Monday, March 5, 2012 4:31 PM