none
PWA 2013 Default Task Settings RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Project Server 2013.  We have some projects that are created and managed using just the PWA web client only.  When a new task is added to the schedule it defaults to Fixed Units Non Effort Driven.  Is there any way to set the default for tasks entered through PWA to be Fixed Duration Non Effort Driven?  I have also noticed that after I have added a new task and changed the Type and Effort Driven values because I exposed the columns in a view, that it will not let me modify the values again.  Is there some setting that will allow me to change this value from PWA after the value has been set?  Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.
    Monday, April 21, 2014 9:25 PM

All replies

• Jason --

Using the PWA interface to create and manage projects has many limitations, one of which you have just discovered.  If you want full control over task planning in Project Server 2013, you need to use Microsoft Project Professional 2013 to manage your projects.  Otherwise, I am not aware of any way to specify default settings in PWA for items like Task Type or Effort Driven.  But you can change those settings easily in Microsoft Project 2013 for the current project and for all future projects as well.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 3:12 PM
  • Thank you for your reply Dale.

I understand that there are limitation to using PWA to manage tasks but I wasn't sure if there was a setting that I was missing where you can assign the Task Type and Effort Driven default values like you can set a default for tasks to be either Auto or Manually Scheduled.

Also when looking at the functionality sheet from Microsoft (http://blogs.office.com/2013/05/29/managing-project-schedules-in-project-professional-vs-project-online-pwa/), I saw where it allows you to edit the Task Type and Effort Driven from PWA but once the values are set, I have not been able to change them.  Is there something that I am missing or can you only edit the values when you first create the task in PWA?

Thanks for any additional input.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 3:22 PM
  • Jason,

I think I found a solution for you.  Create a Project in Microsoft Project, set the default task type as "Fixed Duration" and de-select "Effort Driven" (via File--> Options--> Schedule Tab), then add the Project Summary Task and show the Type and Effort Driven fields and confirm that they show "Type = Fixed Duration", and "Effort Driven = No", then add at least one task with the same attributes, save as a template, and then associate it with your EPT. 

When you create a new project from that EPT from within PWA, and then edit the Project Schedule PDP, you should find that new tasks entered will have the specifications you set in the associated template.  See Graphic below. 

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:35 PM
  • Justin,

Thanks for the great solution.  I will let you know if it works for us.

Since I am saving the Project plan as a template with at least one task then when I create a new project from the EPT will it always have that 1 task?  Also, do you think that I could save the project as a template without the single task?

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:45 PM