none
Clone a NT 4 machine RRS feed

• Question

• I have two legacy servers running NT4 with software we can not replace or re-install since its so old we no longer have the software to reinstall.  Is there a way we can clone the machines to a VHD and then use them as virtual boxes?  Long ago I got the vmware conveter trail ware but that requires a Win2k at least.  The other hurdle I have is that the hard drives are in a RAID and the board only supports SCSI. 

If anyone has an idea I am welcome to it.

Thanks

• Changed type ttmays Monday, May 4, 2015 4:18 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:59 PM

Answers

• On the VMWare forums, there are posts that say using the 3.0.3 version of Converter with NT 4 SP 6 will work.  Otherwise, your only solution would be to use some kind of imaging/backup solution that will work with both NT and VMWare.

• Marked as answer by ttmays Monday, May 4, 2015 4:18 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:09 PM

All replies

• Why not make a full backup of the systems, then restore the backups into a VMs.

What are VM platforum you planning on running your NT VMs on? 

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:37 PM
  • smjain,

I dont have backup software compatiable with NT4 unless you are talking about the native windows backup.  I am USing the free ware for VMware to manage my VHD's.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:16 PM
  • On the VMWare forums, there are posts that say using the 3.0.3 version of Converter with NT 4 SP 6 will work.  Otherwise, your only solution would be to use some kind of imaging/backup solution that will work with both NT and VMWare.

• Marked as answer by ttmays Monday, May 4, 2015 4:18 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:09 PM