none
DR Protection for Exchange in Workgroup RRS feed

• Question

• Is secondary dpm protection in any way possible for a workgoup protected exchange server.

If this is not possible, is there anybody out there that are doing this in a intuitive or unique way with DPM?

• Moved by Larry Yin Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:29 PM (From:DPM 2012 Beta - Locked)
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 2:58 PM

Answers

• OK - thanks for the extra info. In my test network on DPM 2012 I've successfully protected Hyper-V VHD's and SQL databases on a secondary DPM 2012 server where the primary and the secondary are in the same domain but the servers they are protecting are in an untrusted domain or workgroup. So I can attest to it working there.

Re-reading Prateek's post the only supported secondary protection would be of;

1. SQL Server

2. File Server

3. Hyper-V Server

4. Clustered Backend (For all of the above workloads)

5. Secondary DPM Server (for DR)

So unfortunately that leaves you out in the cold with Exchange until you migrate to Hyper-V. You could then protect the Hyper-V workload and use restore from VHD (supported on virtual DPM server with DPM 2012) to restore the mailbox databases on the Exchange server.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 12:05 PM

All replies

• In this post Prateek indicates how this can be done in DPM 2012 using certificate based protection for the following.

Following workloads/scenarios are supported using certificate based authentication:

1. SQL Server

2. File Server

3. Hyper-V Server

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/09/01/dpm-2012-certificate-based-protection.aspx

In essence if the primary and secondary DPM servers are in a trusted domain then yes this is possible to protect an Exchange server in a workgroup.

The 'not so nice' and probably unsupported method would be to create a friendly mount point to the replica volume on the primary (just to make it easy to select as a data source). Then protect the replica volume on the secondary - at that point it's just the raw data files so you lose the 'primary to secondary switch protection' capability.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 5:01 AM
  • Hi Danny,

"In essence if the primary and secondary DPM servers are in a trusted domain then yes this is possible to protect an Exchange server in a workgroup."

Have you tested this or have a link where this can be confirmed confirmed? Is this 2010 and 2012? If this is the case then great!

The post you indicated says nothing about secondary support for protected workgroup exchange servers, only that exchange protection through certificate based authentication is NOT supported.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 5:11 AM
  • We've configured protection in DPM 2010 using the unsupported method for workgroup computers.

I've tested certificate based protection in DPM 2012 but not protection for Exchange.

What Exchange roles are installed on the workgroup computer and is it a virtual or physical server?

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 5:58 AM
  • In this case the server is a vm so I am treating it as a physical server. Will be moving to HyperV in the near future. It is a single Exchange2010 that hosts all the roles. The server is protected as a workgroup server. Looking into secondary protection for protected exchange servers in workgroups. This question does not just relate to this specific case, it is a general question.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:16 AM
  • OK - thanks for the extra info. In my test network on DPM 2012 I've successfully protected Hyper-V VHD's and SQL databases on a secondary DPM 2012 server where the primary and the secondary are in the same domain but the servers they are protecting are in an untrusted domain or workgroup. So I can attest to it working there.

Re-reading Prateek's post the only supported secondary protection would be of;

1. SQL Server

2. File Server

3. Hyper-V Server

So unfortunately that leaves you out in the cold with Exchange until you migrate to Hyper-V. You could then protect the Hyper-V workload and use restore from VHD (supported on virtual DPM server with DPM 2012) to restore the mailbox databases on the Exchange server.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 12:05 PM
  • How do I delete this whole thread

Kind Regards.

Monday, February 6, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Hi Dirk,

You can install Exchange in a domain machine only, you can not install in a workgroup machine. Looks like your scenario is untrusted domains scenario.

Can you please provide the trust relation between the domains DR_DPM_Domain , Primary-DPM-Domain and Exchange-Server-Domain?

Thanks & Regards,

Nagesh

Nagesh[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:38 AM
  • Really?

Here is my conclution from what I have read and the references back to what I have already read. You cannot dr protect exchange server in a protected workgroup scenario. Nobody seems to be doing this, have any interest in doing this or are doing this in any intuitive way. you have to buy 2 servers per client or use trust relationships. This is not really an MSP solution for small clients, but rather a per client solution for a medium sized business. Not saying the product is bad, just that I cannot use it the way I want to. I am looking at other cloud backup solution to offer clients that are not so domain dependent.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:59 AM