none
Project Server 2010 Job Queue RRS feed

• Question

• While continuing to configure Project Server 2010 in preparation for a v2003 upgrade, I noticed that when resource security groups are updated, the job queue is flooded with "User Synchronization " entries.  In my case, thousands of them.  And in true queue fashion, any request submitted after the security update will enter a "Waiting To Be Processed" state, including project plan saves, publishes, and checkins.

So I have a few questions:

1. Is there a way to set prioritization of certain actions to always complete first?  E.g. I always want project plan saves and checkins to complete before any User Synchronization or Reporting Database updates.
    2. Would it be considered normal for the 10,000 User Synchronization jobs to take several hours to complete?  My 4CPU, 16GB RAM database server was at full throttle processing the entire time.
    3. What other acitivities should I be cautious of completing during business hours.  I've noticed "Bulk update Project Sites" has a similar overwhelming effect.

Thanks.
    Jason

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:51 PM

Answers

• For the most part, this sounds correct.  Changing security may potentially lock everyone out for a little bit while everything processes.  I have sweated through that myself in a 2007 environment.  That's why security should only be changed during maintenance windows.

1) There's no way that I know of to prioritize actions.

2) That does sound excessive.  I would think 10-30 minutes may be more appropriate, preferably towards the shorter end of the scale.  Check your ULS logs, maybe it's a network issue between your server and the SQL backend?

3) Bulk update should only be used when migrating a site collection.  Other than that, I would say, anything which changes the configurations settings is best done during maintenance windows.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:50 PM
  • Jason:

Anytime you change your security configuration, you are going to  set off a slew of synchronization jobs. The best practice here is not to much with security during production hours. Otherwise you risk a lot more than a slow queue process, like freezing user sessions in the middle of processing! Once you put your new system into production, make a standard practice of changing security configuration only when users are not on the system.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:49 PM

All replies

• Jason:

Anytime you change your security configuration, you are going to  set off a slew of synchronization jobs. The best practice here is not to much with security during production hours. Otherwise you risk a lot more than a slow queue process, like freezing user sessions in the middle of processing! Once you put your new system into production, make a standard practice of changing security configuration only when users are not on the system.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:49 PM
  • For the most part, this sounds correct.  Changing security may potentially lock everyone out for a little bit while everything processes.  I have sweated through that myself in a 2007 environment.  That's why security should only be changed during maintenance windows.

1) There's no way that I know of to prioritize actions.

2) That does sound excessive.  I would think 10-30 minutes may be more appropriate, preferably towards the shorter end of the scale.  Check your ULS logs, maybe it's a network issue between your server and the SQL backend?

3) Bulk update should only be used when migrating a site collection.  Other than that, I would say, anything which changes the configurations settings is best done during maintenance windows.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:50 PM