none
Two node failover cluster with live migration and CSV. RRS feed

• Question

• HI All

I have read many of the posts about this topic but still feel unsure, maybe someone can clear things up please?

We plan to use Two IBM HS22 blade servers in a 2 node Failover cluster config.We have a fibre channel SAN and want to use the live migration feature

I need to know:

How many NIC's exactly?

in this post I found Here I need some things cleared:

1 for Management. Microsoft recommends a dedicated network adapter for Hyper-V server management.
    B  1 or 2 for Virtual machines.Virtual network configurations of the external type require a minimum of one network adapter.
    C  1 for Failover cluster.Windows® failover cluster requires a private network.
    D 1   for Live migration.This new Hyper-V R2 feature supports the migration of running virtual machines between Hyper-V servers. Microsoft recommends     configuring a dedicated physical network adapter for live migration traffic.
    E  1  for Cluster shared volumes.Microsoft recommends a dedicated network to support the communications traffic created by this new Hyper-V R2 feature.

"A  1 for Management. "   Does this "Management" mean for use with remote desktop and such? what else? will this be on the subnet used by the rest of the network?

"B  1 or 2 for Virtual machines" Is this the network used by the actual services running on the vm? exchange, file etc.? Can 5 VM's be configured to use the same dedicated physical NIC and be stable, is it enough if its a gigabit NIC?

"C  1 for Failover cluster" It says it requires a virtual network.So it will also have its own physical NIC aswell on a different ethernet switch or just a different subnet?

and the same questions for "D" and "E" as with "C"

Does someone know of an Illustration that describes this scenario in detail

• Edited by CryptoBalls Tuesday, November 6, 2012 4:08 AM
    Monday, November 5, 2012 7:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Thanks, I read up a bit more and understand it better so no need to repost.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/d75c6ccd-4afc-41b4-89fa-13e4c040dd18/

• Edited by CryptoBalls Tuesday, November 6, 2012 4:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by CryptoBalls Tuesday, November 6, 2012 4:13 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 4:12 AM

All replies

• Please repost in the correct forum, this forum is for the end-of-life product Microsoft Virtual Server 2005, either the Hyper-V or clustering forums will get you better chances for help.

Monday, November 5, 2012 11:01 PM
  • Hi Thanks, I read up a bit more and understand it better so no need to repost.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/d75c6ccd-4afc-41b4-89fa-13e4c040dd18/

• Edited by CryptoBalls Tuesday, November 6, 2012 4:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by CryptoBalls Tuesday, November 6, 2012 4:13 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 4:12 AM