Installing to Q:\ but application requires some files to install to C:\ RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm sequencing a application called Hansen Hub, During the installtion i can specify that the application installs to Q:\ but i have noticed that it also installs files to C:\MQM. I have tried moving the files to the Q drive but the application fails to launch saying that it can't find the MQM folder.

My question is, is there a way to specify the sequencer to install the required files to C:\MQM and the other files to Q:\,

OR

Can I install the whole application to c:\. Will there be a problem if i do this. i know that Microsoft "recommends" that you install to Q:\ but i have no way of changing the installtion path from C:\MQM to Q:\MQM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Weera
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:32 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

I would recommend an installation to C:\

See this guide for advanced sequencing tips;
    http://blogs.technet.com/softgrid/archive/2007/09/12/advanced-sequencing-topics.aspx

/Znack
    • Marked as answer by weera82 Friday, July 3, 2009 12:21 AM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:49 AM
  • Although Microsoft recommends installing to Q for performance reasons, I do not believe anyone can measure a performance improvement.

In my view, the reason to install to Q: is that, for a random applicaiton you have never sequenced before, the application will run correctly more often when sequenced installed to the same drive letter as on the client than if installed to C:.  Although the sequencer tries real hard to abstract folder references, some apps are really sneaky at hiding them and they slip by unmodified.  Of course, there are apps that must be installed to C: so if you have any reasonable excuse to install to C: go right ahead.

Keep in mind that this only applies to reasonable C: drive locations, such as "C:\Program Files\VendorApp", or C:\VendorApp.  Some other locations require more work:
     - Google Chrome installs to %APPDATA% which is in the exclusion list by default, forcing you to edit the exclusion list.
     - Files (not folders) placed at the root of the C: drive are not captured by the sequencer.  You must copy these elsewhere in the package and use an OSD script with PROTECT="FALSE" to copy them onto the target system.

These probably do not apply to you, but we like to remind folks of these quirks from time to time!
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 8:47 PM
  • If I install to a Q: drive , does this mean I have to map a Q: drive on each person workstation , who is running a virtual application ?
    Friday, July 10, 2009 8:58 AM
  • Hello,

Q: is not a drive, its a mount point. It doesn't map anywhere (well, at least from a network perspective).

Please see this article,
    http://blogs.technet.com/softgrid/archive/2007/08/08/inside-the-grid-part-2.aspx

/Znack
    Friday, July 10, 2009 9:01 AM