none
Upgrading from 2003 Domain to 2008 Domain

Question

• Hello Everyone,

Let me start off with our PDC crashed and our backups were no good.  The Backup DC is limping along but need to prep for 2008 Standard Domain Server.  I ran the adprep /forestprep successfully and the schema now reads 44 in regedit.  When I try running the adprep /domainprep /gpprep I am getting the following error:

C:\adprep>adprep /domainprep /gpprep
    Running domainprep ...

Adprep was unable to check the domain update status.

[Status/Consequence]

Adprep queries the directory to see if the domain has already been prepared. If
    the information is unavailable or unknown, Adprep proceeds without attempting th
    is operation.
    [User Action]
    Restart Adprep and check the ADPrep.log file. Verify in the log file that this d
    omain has already been successfully prepared.

Adprep encountered an LDAP error.
    Error code: 0x20. Server extended error code: 0x208d, Server error message: 0000
    208D: NameErr: DSID-031001CD, problem 2001 (NO_OBJECT), data 0, best match of:
            'CN=OLDDC01\0ADEL:fc9797c7-4686-402c-9b32-0253e7fe7a90,CN=Servers,CN=Def
    ault-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=MYDOMAIN,DC=COM'

I am showing that there are two HOST(A) entries in the DomainDNSZones and ForestDNSZones, one being the PDC that crashed and the other being the backup DC, two LDAP entries in DomainDNSZones and ForestDNSZones.  

My question is can I delete the HOST(A) and LDAP entries with the PDC that crashed and then run the adprep /domainprep /gpprep and will that resolve my issues or is that a bad idea.

My other question is that the backup DC is not the Infrastructure Master since it is the GC server...am I still safe in creating a 2008 DC server under these circumstances?

This is my first time dealing with this type of situation where the PDC has crashed and I am running off of one DC.  Please help.

Thank you.

• Moved by nzpcmad1 Sunday, February 28, 2016 6:08 PM From ADFS
    Friday, February 26, 2016 6:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

You should do metadata cleanup for remove this crashed DC from domain,

Metadata cleanup

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816907(v=ws.10).aspx

My other question is that the backup DC is not the Infrastructure Master since it is the GC server>>> You have to seize all fsmo roles to avaible DC,

seize fsmo roles,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/255504

You can follow the steps on article for migrate from server 2003 to 2008,

http://blogs.msmvps.com/mweber/2010/02/10/upgrading-an-active-directory-domain-from-windows-server-2003-to-windows-server-2008-or-windows-server-2008-r2/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Marked as answer by JJ_Admin Friday, February 26, 2016 10:02 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2016 7:18 PM
  • I have ran the MetaData Cleanup and only the backup server shows up in the Domain Controllers in Active Directory Users and Computers and under the Active Directory Sites and Services only the backup server shows up in the Servers container.

I have seized the FSMO roles except for the Infrastructure because I have read that a domain controller cannot be both the GC Server and the Infrastructure Master.  This is the only DC I have up and running right now.  

I know that when I create the 2008 DC server I can make it the GC Server and then I can make the 2003 server the Infrastructure Master.  At that point I will create another 2008 DC, promote it to the PDC and then eventually demote the 2003 server...goodbye 2003.

My main question is now that I have done all those steps why do I still show the LDAP and HOST(A) files with the old PDC that no longer exist?  Can I just delete it or is there another step I am missing?

Friday, February 26, 2016 7:42 PM
  • Hi

If you already done the process,mean seize fsmo roles,and avaible DC become PDC,it is OK.(make sure to run "netdom fsmo query" and check...)

why do I still show the LDAP and HOST(A) files with the old PDC that no longer exist?  Can I just delete it or is there another step I am missing?>>>> You can go ahead and delete the crashed DC records,(so already seize roles)

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Friday, February 26, 2016 8:40 PM
  • Thank you Burak....I will continue through the weekend and update what happens.
    Friday, February 26, 2016 10:02 PM