none
DPM 2012 R2 unable to connect to Database after failed Update Rollup 4 Installation RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have a DPM 2012 R2 Server with SQL Server 2012 installed locally.

    We tried to install Rollup 4 for DPM 2012 R2 (KB3009516) using Windows Update

    and it failed with error code 0x80070643. Now when we open the DPM Console

    it is totally empty (no Protection Groups, Servers, Disks, just like a fresh install).

    In the eventlog we get a lot of Errors and warnings:

    Event 941 (MSDPM)

    Unable to connect to the DPM database.  Make sure that SQL Server is running and that it is configured correctly.

    Cannot open database "DPMDB" requested by the login. The login failed.

    Event 4209 (MSDPM)

    The description for Event ID 4209 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

    The following information was included with the event:

    DPM Writer encountered an internal error.  Please restart the DPM Writer service, and then try the backup operation again. For additional troubleshooting information, review the application event log and the DPM Troubleshooting Guide.

    Event 107 (Report Server Windows Service (MSSQLSERVER)

    Report Server Windows Service (MSSQLSERVER) cannot connect to the report server database.

    Event 274 (SQLISService110)

    Microsoft SSIS Service:

    Registry setting specifying configuration file does not exist.

    Attempting to load default config file.

    Then there are some Errors/warnings from SQLSERVERAGENT about failed scheduled Jobs.

    I think the failed Installation changed some database Settings, so that now the DPM Console

    cant access the database anymore.

    I would be happy if someone can help me getting this Server working again!

    Friday, November 14, 2014 7:37 PM

Answers

  • The problem with the authenication is solved.

    There was a problem with the Database. It was in the "Single User Mode". After I fixed it the DPM user could log in.

    But now the server is deleted and a new one is installed...

    • Proposed as answer by Huffelpaff Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Hadgenen Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:16 PM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 1:38 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    please open SQL Management Studio and take a lool at your DPMDB

    is there a DB

    is it maybe looked with single User Logon

    SQL Service started

    Do you have a Backup?


    Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

    Friday, November 14, 2014 10:42 PM
  • Hi,

    the DB is still there in Management Studio, I have checked the Restrict Access Option and it is set to

    Multi_user. SQL Services are all running. And we dont have a Backup of this Server at the moment, would have used that immediately after this Problem occured.

    Saturday, November 15, 2014 8:21 AM
  • During the UR4 installation a number of db entries are modified. The UR creates a database backup in the default SQLserver backup folder, named QFEDPMDB_Servername.bak. If you need to go back to UR3, you need to restore this (or a similar) backup of the db before the application of UR4. 

    Best,

    Markus

    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:36 AM
  • Hi Markus,

    thank you for this idea. I've found this backup file only a few minutes ago.

    Could it be that the DPM Database is in a recovery mode? I've read somthing like this in a "Guided Walkthrough for Troubleshooting Data Protection Manager console issues".

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3008149/en-us

    but I don't know there I have torun this commands.

    thank you for your help

    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:02 PM
  • First thing I would do, is copy this QFE backup to a safe location. 

    You may then create a backup of your current database with dpmbackup. It takes care that the dpm services are not in the way while you do the backup.

    Then restore the QFEbackup with dpmsync -restoredb ...

    and do a dpmsync -sync

    That should give you a functioning system, if you are on the patch level of UR3. From there you can retry the update to UR4

    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:03 PM
  • Our biggest problem is, that the DPM is not working any more. So there is no chance to backup the SQL Server via DPM.

    I think the main problem is that DPM have no access to the database. Every time I start the DPM Application, I get an error "verify that the DPM service is running on this computer". In the eventlog are many errors that the msdpm service was unable to connect to DPM Database. Another "information" is that the user 'nt authority\system' failed to open the database of dpm.

    We've tried to reinstall the DPM but its still the same problem. I suppose that is a corrupt database.

    Tomorrow I try to restore the database and hope it will be the solution of our problem.

    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:20 PM
  • You don't need a working DPM to run the above mentioned operations. They are all command line operations, no UI needed.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:29 PM
  • The problem with the authenication is solved.

    There was a problem with the Database. It was in the "Single User Mode". After I fixed it the DPM user could log in.

    But now the server is deleted and a new one is installed...

    • Proposed as answer by Huffelpaff Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Hadgenen Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:16 PM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 1:38 PM