Question

• Hey Guys, 

Getting a strange error: 

SourceContext           : AmbiguousRecipient
    ConnectorId             :
    Source                  : ROUTING
    EventId                 : DEFER
    InternalMessageId       : 47739645
    MessageId               : <zvzv335D5E14A34887DB1D2E7C36894949494949@AFS-PW-server.domain.org>
    Recipients              : {TeamApple@domain.com}
    RecipientStatus         : {420 4.2.0 RESOLVER.CON.Ambiguous; contact has an ambiguous forwarding address}
    TotalBytes              : 4973
    RecipientCount          : 1

I checked the recipient info (its a mail enabled distro group) and the distroubtion groups primary smtp address, EmailAddreses are all expected, (TeamApple@domain.com, TeamApple@localdomainfqdn.com) etc. However when running:

Get-Recipient -Anr TeamApple | Select Name,*Addresses*,*SMTP*,REcipientTypeDetails,*External*

I see all the expected address and then: 

ExternalEmailAddress      : SMTP:appleteam@otherdomain.com << this address is what i need to remove. 

I said all of that to get to this, how do i remove the External Email address value from the Distribution Group? I cannot user set-mailuser or set-mailcontact as i have in the past. 

PS: I know i can do it with ADSIEDIT but would rather not use it. 

Thanks, 

Robert 

Robert

Thursday, July 27, 2017 1:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check any other user or contacts has the same address with following command:

Get-Recipient -ResultSize Unlimited | ? {$_.RecipientType -eq "MailContact" -or $_.RecipientType -eq "UserMailbox" -and $_.PrimarySmtpAddress -like "*@yourdomain.com"} | Select DisplayName,PrimarySmtpAddress,Alias,externaladdress | Export-Csv C:\report.csv -NTI

Per my research, it’s hard to find another way to remove the external address.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 28, 2017 9:41 AM
  • Thanks Jason. I will check this tomorrow (using your command). However I checked looking in active directory and I don't see any other mailboxes, contacts etc with the same PrimarySMTP.

Is there no Exchange command that I can use to clear the external address?

Thanks,

Robert

Robert

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 2:52 AM
  • Thanks for your response.

Please keep updating, thanks for your time.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 7, 2017 9:35 AM