Email Too Large Notification RRS feed

• Question

• We are using an Exchange 2010 email server and have set a size limit for incoming emails/attachments. If someone outside attempts to send one of the users inside our Exchange system an email that is too large, is there a way to set Exchange to send the intended recipient an email notification so that they are aware that someone tried to send them something?
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 8:38 PM

Answers

• Nothing built-in to Exchange, no. Even if you removed all the size restrictions and used a transport rule, there is nothing that strips attachments and delivers the message. 3rd party software would be needed.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Proposed as answer by Amit Tank Thursday, August 20, 2015 10:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Linda in MC Friday, August 21, 2015 1:09 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 9:53 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my search, there is no such official documents to achieve your goal.

We can set the  larger size limits exclusively for attachments is to use a transport rule :

New-TransportRule -Name LargeAttach -AttachmentSizeOver 30MB -RejectMessageReasonText "Message attachment size over 30MB - email rejected

Regards,

David 

Friday, August 21, 2015 3:06 AM
  • For Inbound messages? Not sure (?). For Outbound, that is a different story. Besides whatever the sender might receive, there is (at least for us) a message sent to the postmaster mailbox:

This message
    wasn't delivered to anyone because it's too large. The limit is xx MB. This
    message is xx MB.

5.3.4 SMTPSEND.OverAdvertisedSize; message size exceeds fixed maximum size ##

Will double-check on this.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Friday, August 21, 2015 1:49 PM

All replies

• Nothing built-in to Exchange, no. Even if you removed all the size restrictions and used a transport rule, there is nothing that strips attachments and delivers the message. 3rd party software would be needed.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Proposed as answer by Amit Tank Thursday, August 20, 2015 10:59 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 9:53 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my search, there is no such official documents to achieve your goal.

We can set the  larger size limits exclusively for attachments is to use a transport rule :

New-TransportRule -Name LargeAttach -AttachmentSizeOver 30MB -RejectMessageReasonText "Message attachment size over 30MB - email rejected

Regards,

David 

Friday, August 21, 2015 3:06 AM
  • I was hoping there was something in Exchange, but thanks for answering
    • Edited by Linda in MC Friday, August 21, 2015 1:11 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2015 1:10 PM
  • Does that send a message anywhere - to administrator, for example?
    Friday, August 21, 2015 1:12 PM
  • For Inbound messages? Not sure (?). For Outbound, that is a different story. Besides whatever the sender might receive, there is (at least for us) a message sent to the postmaster mailbox:

This message
    wasn't delivered to anyone because it's too large. The limit is xx MB. This
    message is xx MB.

5.3.4 SMTPSEND.OverAdvertisedSize; message size exceeds fixed maximum size ##

Will double-check on this.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Friday, August 21, 2015 1:49 PM
  • Yes, inbound. Apparently what is happening is the sender (from outside of our Exchange system) claims they didn't realize that their email wasn't delivered. Either they aren't being notified or their notifications are going into spam folders or they are ignoring them, so our users would like to know for themselves that someone tried to send them something rather than relying on the outside sender to make sure their email went through.
    Friday, August 21, 2015 1:56 PM
  • Just found this...

http://serverfault.com/questions/532249/ndr-message-forward-to-recipient

Not sure if it helps in your case. Taking a look at it myself now.

EDIT - 1st link might help. Don't see how 2nd link applies.

Friday, August 21, 2015 1:59 PM
  • Thanks I'll look into it.
    Friday, August 21, 2015 2:01 PM
  • You're welcome.

Looks like you *might* be able to get a message sent to the postmaster mailbox but as others have said, there's not a native mechanism in Exchange that would automatically alert intended recipients.

Friday, August 21, 2015 2:05 PM