[SOLVED] Live tiles dead..just open and close {reason is AVAST} RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed Win 8 update over win 7 everything is smooth unless the live tiles in Metro are dead. Clicking on any tile opens a full screen for a sec and then goes back to Metro. Internet is working, I also log in with Microsoft account. Event clicking the pictures nothing happens..just open and close. Store is no go as well.

any ideas ?

s

• Edited by savco Friday, October 26, 2012 10:37 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 2:22 AM

Answers

• [SOLVED]

AVAST antivirus was blocking all metro tiles and apps..disabling all shields allowed the tiles to work like a charm.

Thanks all for your assistance.

s

• Proposed as answer by AnthonyDa Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, October 29, 2012 7:20 AM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 10:36 PM

All replies

• Why on Earth would you think an entirely new operating system should be installed as an upgrade to an existing operating system?

It's a bad idea, assuming you actually want it to work right.

I suggest going through it again and choosing the proper options to ensure you get a full, clean installation on a newly formatted disk volume.  Make SURE you back up your data first before wiping the disk!

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Friday, October 26, 2012 2:33 AM
  • Honestly that's sort of a BS answer.. I mean yah obviously anytime I have an OS issue I can reformat my machine and the issue will dissapear 7/10.. but it isn't a real solution.. i mean i cant just get a new wife everytime the current one gets smart mouthed..
    Friday, October 26, 2012 2:49 AM
  • I will keep that as a last resort..I already paid for the update i got a new pc 3 mo ago and they gave me a discount win 8 for $15 ..so lets try this again:

Live tiles are dead..clicking on a tile just opens full screen and closes any ideas ?

s

Ok camera, games, music video..all open for a sec and then close. Store is no go no matter what I do. Log in with win account..approved the pc as trusted..etc.etc..

explorer is stuck and when getting the charm says can not get settings for this app...

• Edited by savco Friday, October 26, 2012 3:00 AM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 2:51 AM
  • Just remember to swing back to post number 1 and mark it as The Answer after you waste all your time trying to get to the bottom of why half the crap you had installed in your Windows 7 system is incompatible with Windows 8, and the permissions and file ownership are wrong, and the system no longer works.  Microsoft just provides the upgrade capability because there'd be an incredible outcry if they didn't.  Such upgrades have never worked very well.  Even if you somehow sledgehammer your system into being able to run Metro apps, you're going to have further problems, I guarantee it.

Regarding what's BS and what isn't, you're welcome to your opinion illafam.  I can only say this:  Enjoy dealing with your ongoing Windows problems.  Me, I'll just be concentrating on my work, because all my systems just run reliably and long.

-Noel

Friday, October 26, 2012 3:12 AM
  • It occurred to me perhaps you may not understand, savco, that you can do a clean install with the upgrade package.  You just have to navigate the right screens during the first part of the install.  I believe it's labeled a "Custom" installation.

-Noel

Friday, October 26, 2012 3:16 AM
  • I have a rather large amount of scientific data..some may turn to be junk but you never know..I would rather keep the things as they are for now..
    Friday, October 26, 2012 3:20 AM
  • Do you not understand that you can back your data up to another drive?  Something like a 2 TB MyBook USB drive is a hundred bucks.

But hey, I don't want to stand in your way.  Have fun debugging your installation.  I hope someone can help you zero in on the permissions issue or whatever's blocking your Metro apps.

Here's something to have for reference (just one of hundreds of sites Google turned up on how to do a clean install):  http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-upgrade-previous-windows-version-143574

-Noel

Friday, October 26, 2012 3:24 AM
  • ..so that's it...no other solutions...??

s

Friday, October 26, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Yes : call MS support.

You paid your W8 license -which is a contract between you and MS- so you're entitled to an activation key and its corresponding OS support.

Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

Friday, October 26, 2012 3:17 PM
  • yes thank you both of you.

Call to MS is in order and I hope I'm not going to talk to Bangalore..

Road Apple : I saw your link this morning but yes it disappeared..thank you for the re-post.

If I figure that out I will post the solution. I installed the Classic Shell and works flawless and Win8 has no issues at all. All software works, all drivers are in order.

It is only the Metro giving me a grief, I dont need it per se but kids like it.

thanx.

Friday, October 26, 2012 5:22 PM
  • [SOLVED]

AVAST antivirus was blocking all metro tiles and apps..disabling all shields allowed the tiles to work like a charm.

Thanks all for your assistance.

s

• Proposed as answer by AnthonyDa Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, October 29, 2012 7:20 AM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 10:36 PM
  • This is actually one of the worst answers to a question I have ever read. I am hoping that by making others feel bad you have made yourself feel good. Frankly if there were a way to report this kind of lame answer I would! Noel, truly I don't know why you would have taken the time to write your lame excuse for an answer on a forum. Thank you for nothing! Your self-righteous post has wasted more time than any other post I have ever read!

You're entitled to your opinion, but I stand by my advice.  If you want Windows 8 to work as well as possible install it as a fresh, clean install instead of trying to upgrade your existing system and taking on whatever problems it has and incompatibilities with software already installed.  The existing version of Avast was the first of the problems - it won't be the last. 

But don't listen to me.  Read this very forum and look at the number of people already having problems with installing Windows 8 as an upgrade.

It's great to hear that savco has actually managed to get through this problem and can start to enjoy his new operating system more (though he may not realize he really doesn't need Avast any more at all, as Windows is now bundled with an anti-malware package).  I just hope he doesn't lose data or have nagging ongoing irritations with whatever additional incompatibilities he discovers down the line.

-Noel

Saturday, October 27, 2012 1:34 PM