none
Project Server 2013 - Time Sheet general categories of tasks for each Project RRS feed

• Question

• Overview:

My company has requested that I create a time entry setup in Project Server 2013 that took a more general approach of project billing and time entry.

Everyone assigned to the project could bill hours against Admin and Meetings.  But only certain team members, would have the Configuration, Installation, or Security tasks assigned to them.  These tasks, would stay open until the project is closed, a team member should not be able to complete the Task via the My Tasks page.  

It is possible that a Project Manager, may assign a user a specific Task to complete as well during the life of the project, this may be used rarely.

We would be able to run reports, showing the number of hours billed to each category at the project level or in total over the duration of the project.

A users time sheet would look like the below sketch:

Administrative

• Misc
    • Sick Time
    • Vacation
    • Trouble Tickets

Project 1

• Admin
    • Meetings
    • Configuration
    • Installation
    • Security

Project 2

• Admin
    • Meetings
    • Configuration
    • Installation
    • Security

What I did:

In order to accomplish this, I created a few tasks for my Test project (Admin, Meetings, Configuration, Installation, and Security) then I assigned a test user to the tasks.   I set the task to go without an end date.  I was able to bill time to the projects and could go to future time sheets and add time as well via the timesheet (I have future time entry enabled on my test server).  I can assign multiple people and time can be entered daily on the task.  

This works fine, the issue I see is:  A user could go to My Tasks and mark the task as complete, which would remove the task from the timesheet for the remainder of the duration.  Which isn’t good.

I can solve the issue by making it a weekly recurring task, but that seems to be more of a work around than a good solution.

Help:

I feel like I have been looking into this for too long and have gotten blinded.  I have to be doing something wrong, this seems very simple but the way I have been setting it up doesn't seem super stable and fairly manual.  Is there a better way to create what I have outlined above?

Thank you so much for any help you can provide to this new Project Server Administrator.

Monday, August 26, 2013 7:31 PM

Answers

• Gunnery188 --

Your problem is a common one with using an administrative project.  For these administative projects, what you need to do is to teach your team members to increase the Remaining Work to a value greater than 0 hours whenever the Remaining Work drops to 0 hours.

This is no way around this problem, short of making it a training and performance issue.  The software always assumes that when Remaining Work = 0h, then the task in question is completed.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Gunnery188 Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:45 PM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 3:33 PM
  • Gunnery188 --

The approach you are using will work, provided you teach your team members to adjust Remaining Work greater than 0h until their administrative tasks are actually finished.  And you are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Gunnery188 Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:46 PM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:48 AM

All replies

• Anyone have any ideas on this?  Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thank  you in advance.

• Unmarked as answer by Gunnery188 Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:45 PM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Gunnery188 --

Your problem is a common one with using an administrative project.  For these administative projects, what you need to do is to teach your team members to increase the Remaining Work to a value greater than 0 hours whenever the Remaining Work drops to 0 hours.

This is no way around this problem, short of making it a training and performance issue.  The software always assumes that when Remaining Work = 0h, then the task in question is completed.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 3:33 PM
  • Dale -

Allow me to apologize for the long pause between responses.  I had this set to alert but never got one...

Any way thank you very much for your assistance.  I am going to see if a recurring task would work as well, then the PMs during the project closing process would close all open tasks.

Also for these more administrative projects, is my method acceptable or is there a better method, I am unaware of?  Any options would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Monday, September 23, 2013 8:42 PM
  • Gunnery188 --

The approach you are using will work, provided you teach your team members to adjust Remaining Work greater than 0h until their administrative tasks are actually finished.  And you are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Gunnery188 Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:46 PM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:48 AM