Office 2010 has screwed up my whole computer RRS feed

• Question

• Here's the rub, I purchased Office 2010, after just installing Office 2007 six months ago. I installed it Monday. When I opened Word and attempted to open some of my files, those created in Word 6.0 and 95, Word opened them up in protection mode. I could not copy from the files and there was no way to turn that feature off. Since I created these files and they are in My Documents, even setting the safe locations on the computer has no effect whatsoever. I did, however, still have Office 2002 on my computer, so I was able to open the files. Then I tried to open Google Chrome, my preferred browser. No pages were able to be displayed or loaded at all.

I decided to restore my computer from before I installed 2010. The issues still existed. So I restored the computer to an earlier time. That didn't help, so I undid the last restore.

Now, no office products will open. Each time I attempt to open one, Windows Installer kicks in trying to install and it fails every time. I went to add & remove programs. No office products are listed to uninstall so I can re-install.

I am so frustrated with the whole deal. I don't know what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Moved by Sally Tang Monday, September 27, 2010 8:44 AM (From:Office 2010 Setup and Deployment)
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 1:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You may have to dump Google Chrome when you move to Lenix or a mac OS, I'm not sure that they support it - I do know that Google Chrome states that you need a Mac OS of 10.5 or later.  When you switch to a Mac OS the program most users are using there is Office 2008 or 2004.  Yes, these are also made by Microsoft.  Apple has a number of programs which you can substitute for Office but even Apple users (at Apple) use Microsoft Office, which makes one wary about choosing the Mac substitutes.

You may be able to run Open Office under the Mac OS but I haven't tried that.  You could run it under Windows, but since you are going to get another OS you had better check first. 

The downside of another OS should be obvious - the range of products that will work with them is miniscule compared to Windows, there may be compatibility problems with the 95% of computer users who use Windows and Office, that OS may not be supported in the future. 

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, October 8, 2010 5:24 AM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 8:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Word 2010 no longer supports documents that were saved in the following Word formats:

•  
      • Microsoft Word for Windows 1.x
      • Microsoft Word for Windows 2.x
      • Microsoft Word for the Macintosh 4.x
      • Microsoft Word for the Macintosh 5.x
      • Microsoft Word 6.0 Binary Documents and Templates
      • Microsoft Word 95 Binary Documents and Templates

Try to disable the restriction on opening documents of certain types:

============

1. Click the File tab.
    2. Under Help, click Options.
    3. Click Trust Center, and then click Trust Center Settings.
    4. In the Trust Center, click File Block Settings.
    5. To enable the opening of a file that is blocked, clear the check box for that file type.
    6. Click OK two times.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Monday, September 27, 2010 8:45 AM
  • I finally was able to un-install both Office 2010 and Office 2007. It took a site someone else recommended with the "fixit" files for both. After running them both and rebooting, I was able to re-install Office 2007. It's working perfectly. I won't be re-installing Office 2010. It prevented me from doing too many things for which the solutions I was given didn't work. 

I was also told to try IE 8.0 or 9.0, that they were much better. I installed 8.0 and took it for a whirl. It stalled on me several times, requiring me to reboot the machine several times. Simple things, like right clicking on a link, did not always offer open the link in a new window, were not included.

I was directed to another site that recommended I look for a worm on the machine. I went tot he site: http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684 and downloaded tdsskiller.exe. I ran the program and it wound one infection on my computer in a file that began with the name of my virus protection software. I fixed the corrupted file, rebooted, and Google Chrome is back running just fine.

It took posting to several other sites to finally get the information needed to fix the problem. It is frustrating that Microsoft offers new software, but provides no assistance when issues arise. The more I work with them, the less intrigued I am. I'm about to go to another OS.

Monday, September 27, 2010 6:33 PM
  • Hi,

You may have to dump Google Chrome when you move to Lenix or a mac OS, I'm not sure that they support it - I do know that Google Chrome states that you need a Mac OS of 10.5 or later.  When you switch to a Mac OS the program most users are using there is Office 2008 or 2004.  Yes, these are also made by Microsoft.  Apple has a number of programs which you can substitute for Office but even Apple users (at Apple) use Microsoft Office, which makes one wary about choosing the Mac substitutes.

You may be able to run Open Office under the Mac OS but I haven't tried that.  You could run it under Windows, but since you are going to get another OS you had better check first. 

The downside of another OS should be obvious - the range of products that will work with them is miniscule compared to Windows, there may be compatibility problems with the 95% of computer users who use Windows and Office, that OS may not be supported in the future. 

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, October 8, 2010 5:24 AM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 8:26 PM