none
Remote Desktop Gateway Server Temporarily Unavailable RRS feed

• Question

• I have a newly installed server 2012 essentials box all set up, updated and work 90% the only issue i am having is when trying to connect to the remote desktop from the remote web access page.

Remote web access is working fine and i can access the page and browse the shared folders etc, but when i try to connect to the desktop of the machine i get the "Remote Desktop Gateway Server Temporarily Unavailable" box come up and i cannot continue.

The server is set as DMZ on the router so should not be blocked in any way i can think of so i am a little confused over where to look.

Many Thanks

Steve

Friday, August 9, 2013 10:44 PM

Answers

• Hi:

What is the OS of the remote system and what is the OS of the target system?  Look through this thread, see if it helps:

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/21826-remote-desktop-gateway-server-temporarily-unavailable/

btw:  is not recommended to put your internal network in the DMZ.  The edge device should be a firewall, with the public IP on the WAN side, and the necessary port(s) forwarded to the private IP of the server.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Saturday, August 10, 2013 11:16 AM
  • Can't really think why DMZ would be the cause, but I guess this begs the question:  have you tried to RWA to an internal system, or the SBS itself, with some other OS, such as Windows 7?

Also, and perhaps most importantly, is SBS updated with SP1 and Rollup 3 plus subsequent updates?

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Saturday, August 10, 2013 11:14 PM

All replies

• Hi:

What is the OS of the remote system and what is the OS of the target system?  Look through this thread, see if it helps:

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/21826-remote-desktop-gateway-server-temporarily-unavailable/

btw:  is not recommended to put your internal network in the DMZ.  The edge device should be a firewall, with the public IP on the WAN side, and the necessary port(s) forwarded to the private IP of the server.

Saturday, August 10, 2013 11:16 AM
  • The DMZ is only temporary as i wanted to make sure there were no port issues etc. i am trying to connect from Windows 8 machines over the internet. If i do a remote desktop connection over the lan then it works no problems.

Thanks

Steve

Saturday, August 10, 2013 10:12 PM
  • Can't really think why DMZ would be the cause, but I guess this begs the question:  have you tried to RWA to an internal system, or the SBS itself, with some other OS, such as Windows 7?

Also, and perhaps most importantly, is SBS updated with SP1 and Rollup 3 plus subsequent updates?

Saturday, August 10, 2013 11:14 PM
  • The Server 2012 Essentials installation is only a week old and is fully updated
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 11:03 AM
  • i am looking in the remote access management console and i have all green ticks accepts for one:

Network Location Server - Url availability 

Would this have anything to do with the problem?

Sunday, August 11, 2013 12:15 PM