WSS 3.0 with Office 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Two issues:

1) A client of mine has found that when opening a document from a Sharepoint document library on a machine with Office 2003, it asks whether you want to open it in Read Only or Edit mode.  Regardless of which choice they pick, they can still edit the document and save is successfully back to the doc lib.

2) The same client has found that when opening a document in Office 2003, when saving it pops up a screen allowing you to edit any column values.  They all are already filled in with whatever was there before except the drop downs are resetting back to the column's default value.

So, for instance, they're saving financial documents into a document library with the following columns: Manager Name (Single line of text), Date (Date box), Department (Drop Down with default=Accounting).  The first time you save the document, you can fill these in as expected, setting Department to, for example, "Maintenance".  If you open the document again, modify it, and save it, the screen pops up showing Manager Name and Date already filled in with what they had before, but the Department has now changed to "Accounting".

If I change the column's default to blank, it does the same thing but resets to blank.

How can I get this to stop happening?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When saving a document to SharePoint from an Office 2003 application, the HTTP request made to SharePoint is same as displaying the document properties, a HTTP GET request is made to the owssvr.dll and the dialogview method is called, the metadata missing may be caused by that data returned by this call is not being parsed properly by MSWord on the PC, please try to reset the IE configuration to see whether it is the issue and refer to the following link for more information:
    http://www.cleverworkarounds.com/2009/09/05/missing-metadata-with-office-2003-yet-another-duh-moment/

Also, please try to open the file by clicking “Edit in Microsoft Office Word” in drop down list of the document, save it to see whether the metadata(drop down column) is saved.

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

Friday, September 23, 2011 8:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Try repairing your office installation.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:07 AM
  • Sounds like a backwards compatability issue.  WSS 3.0 will store the metadata in the Office document Properties, although I'm confused as to why it would change department.

Is this happening with just word, or the range of applications from Office 2003?

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:22 PM
    Answerer
  • I was at another client's office today and they have a similar setup (WSS 3.0) and the conference room computer they have uses Office 2003.  When editing a document, all the columns that are drop down choices reset to their default values while the other columns maintained their correct values.

I have seen it happen in Word 2003 and Excel 2003.

I'm thinking backwards compatibility issue, but I'm surprised I couldn't find anyone else with the same problem.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:02 PM
  • Hi,

When saving a document to SharePoint from an Office 2003 application, the HTTP request made to SharePoint is same as displaying the document properties, a HTTP GET request is made to the owssvr.dll and the dialogview method is called, the metadata missing may be caused by that data returned by this call is not being parsed properly by MSWord on the PC, please try to reset the IE configuration to see whether it is the issue and refer to the following link for more information:
    http://www.cleverworkarounds.com/2009/09/05/missing-metadata-with-office-2003-yet-another-duh-moment/

Also, please try to open the file by clicking “Edit in Microsoft Office Word” in drop down list of the document, save it to see whether the metadata(drop down column) is saved.

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

Friday, September 23, 2011 8:30 AM