Windows sharepoint admin service not starting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I found my SharePoint admin service is not started. when tried to start manually, it is throwing an error saying that it couldn't start.

Tried troubleshooting : IISRESET, stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs, run configuration wizards, PS config, service sharepoint web services start & stop.

not able to start to SharePoint admin services.

Could someone please give me suggestion on this to start the admin service.

Not tried rebooting the server, as i need prior approvals from my superiors for doing the same.

Thanks

Badri

Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:45 AM

Answers

• Hey there

Well Microsoft patch kb2677070 automatically updates revoked security certificates. It lets  Windows Server go out to the internet. But if your server is firewalled away in a DMZ and does not have unfettered internet access, this call to the find the updated revocation list will fail. When it does, the SharePoint 2010 Administration service will not start.

• Open Group Policy Editor. From start->search box, type in gpedit.msc and hit return.
    • Navigate to Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Public Key Policies-> Certificate Path Validation Settings.
    • Click on the “Network Retrieval” tab.
    • Check the “Define these policy settings” and uncheck the “Automatically update certificates in the Microsoft Root Certificate Program”
    • Click OK

For further details visit http://sharepointlark.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/sharepoint-2010-administration-service-wont-start/ 

Thanks

~Dex

Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:29 AM
  • Hello,

You might also want look at this wiki:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/19010.sharepoint-2010-windows-could-not-start-the-administration-service-on-local-computer.aspx

Let us know your result

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:02 AM

All replies

• Hey there

Well Microsoft patch kb2677070 automatically updates revoked security certificates. It lets  Windows Server go out to the internet. But if your server is firewalled away in a DMZ and does not have unfettered internet access, this call to the find the updated revocation list will fail. When it does, the SharePoint 2010 Administration service will not start.

• Open Group Policy Editor. From start->search box, type in gpedit.msc and hit return.
    • Navigate to Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Public Key Policies-> Certificate Path Validation Settings.
    • Click on the “Network Retrieval” tab.
    • Check the “Define these policy settings” and uncheck the “Automatically update certificates in the Microsoft Root Certificate Program”
    • Click OK

For further details visit http://sharepointlark.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/sharepoint-2010-administration-service-wont-start/ 

Thanks

~Dex

Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:29 AM
  • Hello,

You might also want look at this wiki:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/19010.sharepoint-2010-windows-could-not-start-the-administration-service-on-local-computer.aspx

Let us know your result

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:02 AM
  • Hi Hemendra,

Issue is in MOSS 2007..

If i reboot the servers, this will run admin services?

Badri

Friday, April 18, 2014 5:28 AM
  • Hello,

If you are making changes in windows registry (as per given link) then you have to restart the server.

Monday, April 21, 2014 4:55 AM