Windows Media Player 12 Missing/Not Working in Windows 7 Home Premium RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 7 Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600 on an HP DV7 Laptop with pre-installed Windows 7, and also running Office 2007.  A friend borrowed my laptop and now Windows Media Player 12 is non-existent on my laptop.  It does not show up under programs available, nor does it show up as a choice for playing media files.  Before it disappeared, I was totally unable to play any files on a USB hard drive connected to a linksys router with all my media files.  I had previously created the Rescue Disc and Recovery Disks.  Does anybody know how to repair windows so that I have Windows Media Player 12 again?  I looked on the Microsoft website, and it is not available for download.   And does anybody know how to get it to be able to play music files on a hard drive attached to a Linksys WAP/firewall-router?
    Monday, November 30, 2009 8:21 PM

Answers

• Hi BobWin7,

As zachd mentioned, you can try reload Windows Media Player by going to Control Panel. For your reference, I have included the steps below:

1. Open Control Panel -> Programs and Features.

2. Click "Turn Windows features on or off" in the left pane.

3. Expand "Media Features", uncheck "Windows Media Player". Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit. Then Restart.

Note: If you turn off Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center will be turned off either. You may need to re-configure settings for Windows Media Center after re-enabling it.

4. Open "Turn Windows features on or off" again. Turn on the features "Windows Media Player" and "Windows Media Center". Restart.

5. Launch Windows Media Player, initialize the program.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by BobWin7 Saturday, December 12, 2009 8:05 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:30 AM
  • Have you gone to the Turn Windows Features On or Off control panel and ensure that the Player is still installed?

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, December 7, 2009 2:17 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 2:15 AM

All replies

• Have you gone to the Turn Windows Features On or Off control panel and ensure that the Player is still installed?

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, December 7, 2009 2:17 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 2:15 AM
  • Hi BobWin7,

As zachd mentioned, you can try reload Windows Media Player by going to Control Panel. For your reference, I have included the steps below:

3. Expand "Media Features", uncheck "Windows Media Player". Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit. Then Restart.

Note: If you turn off Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center will be turned off either. You may need to re-configure settings for Windows Media Center after re-enabling it.

4. Open "Turn Windows features on or off" again. Turn on the features "Windows Media Player" and "Windows Media Center". Restart.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by BobWin7 Saturday, December 12, 2009 8:05 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:30 AM
  • Thanks a bunch.  That worked.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 8:06 AM
  • it says media player is installd but it does not show any were in my apps  media ceter does but i dont whant to use that i even search for it in start button but nothing i need help please!!!!  
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:39 PM
  • Hi exp420,

Please post a new thread for further discussion. J

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:16 AM
  • i too have this problem, i have audio but no video when i play a wmv file. i did this process but has not fixed the problem ? any suggestions please
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 2:24 PM
  • kainy1, does this happen with all WMV files, or just one or a few? Do you get video when playing the sample Wildlife in HD video in WMP's library?

Has this always been the case or did it just start happening recently? If you have any codec packs installed, please remove these and check if the issue still occurs.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Monday, September 6, 2010 11:44 AM
  • not solved
    Monday, November 29, 2010 1:57 PM
  • not solved

Monday, November 29, 2010 1:58 PM
  • This DOES NOT WORK.  Any more ideas???  Since I have an HP Pavilion I do not have the windows 7 disc. 
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 6:13 PM
  • rammolea, what exact issue are you having? It's better to create a new thread, and to include as much details about your problem as possible.
    Tim De Baets
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:09 PM
  • Hi BobWin7,

Regards,

Linda

Hi, I have a problem identical to the first question on this thread.   I have a gateway laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium that I bought for college a few months ago.   I literaly hadn't used the laptop for media, and when I needed to, I couldn't find Windows Media Player at all.  

I tried downloading it, which is frustrating because I can't locate a Normal Windows 7 Home Premium Windows Media Player download on Microsoft's site, and nothing installs.  I get messages that say my computer does not need updates.   The WMP doesn't seem to show up in Windows Explorer/seacrh,  as if it doesn't exist.    Also it isn't listed in add/remove programs.  I tried msconfig normal startup, and that did not work;  I went to Programs and Features in control panel to "Turn Windows features on or off", and it looks as though there isnt' a single feature to turn on or off; it's just a blank space.  I had an empty folder called Windows Media Player, and I deleted it when I tried to download from Microsoft's site.       Please help me?  Thanks. 

Monday, February 21, 2011 9:52 PM
  • get advance system care and make sure it is 4.01 thne go to toolbox and go to repair choose windows fix then pick windows media player fix and fix it and that should ix 

Saturday, June 11, 2011 6:34 AM
  •   http://www.ziddu.com/download/15434520/FixWin.zip.html   use this tool it will help you
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:58 PM
  •   http://www.ziddu.com/download/15434520/FixWin.zip.html   use this tool it will help you

People should probably download this from the official site to make sure that they get the latest and original version:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-fix-windows-7-vista-problems-with-fixwin-utility

Tim De Baets
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:13 PM
  • I had the same issue dude, none of the aforesaid remedies work. Basically Microsoft is becoming more like apple lol taking away the control of the OS from the consumer lol go to this link http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_media_player_diagnostic/  download the tool, and everything is fixxed. I had a issue where my media player 12 would not start do anything. Tried sfc/ scannow, tried to turn off through programs nothing worked. downloaded this fix, and it fixxes it itself. There are a whole bunch of other fitit executables on this microsoft support site, here is the original link http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/. so basically go here before you drive yourself nuts on google, if you have windows 7.
    • Proposed as answer by The Lord Sith Sunday, August 21, 2011 2:11 AM
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 2:11 AM
  • The Lord Sith, this worked for me.  I've been trying solutions and searching for my Windows Media Player for 2 days.  Thx so much.
    • Edited by Funfeets Friday, September 16, 2011 2:54 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:52 AM
  • You the MAN !!!!! Solved !
    Ram Kishore K
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 9:43 AM
  • Hi BobWin7,

Regards,

Linda

Thanks this worked brill for me x
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:20 PM
  • tried the other suggestions before I read yours. Wish I had seen yours 1st as it worked 1st time. Thanks alot

Friday, January 27, 2012 12:15 PM
  • I cant play the music or video files in windows media player (In windows 7).While opening the error comment was "server execcution failed". This was araised after changing the antivirus program.Will you please give me the solution for this issue.
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:45 PM
  • thank you very much.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:12 PM
  • Hello,

Dear, Linda Yan.

I did it and follow your Instruction. when I click the Program  featured Then window turn on or off program. He show me the box it's Empty. At the top they say this.( To turn a featured on, select it check box, To turn a featured off, clear it check box, A fill box mean That only part of the featured is turned on,)

And After that I check My desktop There is nothing, I need to back my window media player. Do you have any other instruction. please send me on my mail

Saadswati@riversideschool.cz, Thanks for Help.

Regards,

Saad Ali,

Friday, July 20, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Saad Ali: exactly which box is empty?

Have you tried putting a checkmark next to Windows Media Player, clicking OK, and rebooting?

Tim De Baets

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:41 PM
  • wanted to add this comment to the fix. I tried that fix several times to no end. when i try to open media player it still says that media player is not installed correctly and to go to the web site and reload it. but there is no download for media player 12. it is a pre installed program in windows 7. and every download of media player 11 won't work. just saying !

and for the record i have the win 7 discs but i can't get them to repair the problem without rebooting the system from scratch. tryed the repair feature and the system restore to no avail.
    • Edited by billhuffsr Sunday, September 23, 2012 10:30 AM
    Sunday, September 23, 2012 10:27 AM
  • didn;t work for me in my think centre desktop either. and i have the disk and cant fix it without rebooting the system to factory.
    Sunday, September 23, 2012 10:32 AM
  • thats because there is no download at microsoft for media player 12. It is an included program in windows 7 only. they told me if it is lost from the system it must be rebooted from the start to gain it back. Not good news at all.
    Sunday, September 23, 2012 10:34 AM
  • Read your article and thank you for it. One other question.  If I turn Windows Media player off, restart, then turn it back on, will I loose any of my DRM codes for digital movies?

Thanks

Greg

Sunday, December 30, 2012 11:35 PM
  • Thanks a lot Sith, It works for me.
    Sunday, January 27, 2013 6:02 AM
  • I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and had the same problem - The answer was exactly as Zachd said it would be and it now works!  Thanks so much!!!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Thank you SO much!! I tried all the other solutions on various forums and your simple solution did the trick!! I was about to just accept that I couldn't watch videos on my laptop and start shopping for a new one. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!
    Monday, July 22, 2013 6:39 PM