none
Protectiongroup keeps old server path RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I encountered a weird problem with a protection group.

I was mandated to re-aligned the DPM server (since the guy before me screwed it up...) So far everything worked fine except one protection group.

They had a Server A that was taking a backup of Exchange Data on a cluster. The Server A started having issues and they had decided to build another brand new server beside it (Server B: Windows 2008 R2 Entreprise SP1 with DPM 2012 R2) to take over Server A.

Server A needs to be backed up by Server C since Server A is remote.

The problem is that when I create the protection group on Server C, I try to select the Exchange Data on Server B...

But I get the errror message saying that my Server A is "offline".

Here is the message:

"DPM cannot browse Server A because of a communication error with the agent. (ID: 34)"

"If you just installed an agent on Server A, the server might be restarting. Wait a few minutes after Windows starts for the agent to become available. Otherwise, troubleshoot the problem as follows:
    1) Make sure that Server A is remotely accessible from the DPM server.
    2) If a firewall is enabled on Server A, make sure that it is not blocking requests from the DPM server.
    3) Restart the DPM Protection Agent service on Server A. If the service fails to start, re-install the protection agent."

DPM was unable to get the list of data sources on "Exchange Cluster" that are protected by the primary DPM "Server B".

Make sure the "Server B" is protecting the data sources for wich you want to set this DPM server as the secondary server. If the problem persist, restart the DPMWriter service on "ServerB"

I've re-assigned the agent to Server B.

Why? I think I'm missing somthing...   :o|

Help! Thanks.

Monday, February 17, 2014 4:32 PM

All replies

• please give screenshot

1) Server B with Exchange protection group (OK)

2) On server C: Mamagement->Agents->Server B -> Refresh (OK)

3) On server B:  Computer Management -> Services and Applications -> Services -> Dpm Writer (Started)

Have a nice day !!!

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:28 AM
  • Unfor tu natly, I'm not able to add screen shot to my text...???
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:14 PM
  • 1) Delete all recovery point from Server C (secondary DPM) wtih recource Server A Exchange. 

2) Delete all recovery point from Server B (primary DPM) wtih recource Server A Exchange. 

3) Create new Protection Group for Server A Exchange at Server B (primary DPM).

4) Create new Protection Group for Server A Exchange at Server C (secondary DPM).

Have a nice day !!!

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 5:42 AM