none
Primavera vs Ms project RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everybody;

for my company I need to but software either MS project or Primavera.

We launch about 1000 project as a yearly based.

Could you please let me advise me which are them works better.

Thanks .

Thursday, October 6, 2016 3:36 PM

All replies

• If you know what you are doing they both work the same. If you don't, then neither of them works at all.

I am curious. How do you plan and track 1000 projects per year? There are only 2000 hours max in a year.

Friday, October 7, 2016 6:16 AM
  • If cost is an issue, MS Project is very much likely to be cheaper.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Friday, October 7, 2016 10:28 AM
  • Alex1406,

I've never used Primavera so I can't provide a list of pros and cons of each. However, doing a quick Google search of Primavera versus MS Project gave several good links to articles comparing the two. I suggest you try that, if you haven't already.

John

Friday, October 7, 2016 2:00 PM
  • Alex1406 -

Primavera is an enterprise tool; Microsoft Project is a desktop tool.  To make a fair comparison, you should compare:

• Primavera SureTrak vs. Microsoft Project (comparison of desktop apps only)
    • Primavera vs. either Microsoft Project Online or Microsoft Project Server (comparison of enterprise applications)

Based on previous experiences, I can tell you the following if you compare enterprise applications:

• Primavera is way more expensive than either Project Server or Project Online
    • The learning curve with Primavera is much higher and more challenging than with Microsoft Project (the Microsoft Project desktop app is actually used with Project Server or Project Online)

If you should decide to use either Project Server or Project Online instead of Primavera, I would strongly recommend that your company select a competent Project Partner to assist you, as a Project Partner can save you a lot of time, money, and frustration rather than trying to figure it all out yourself.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, October 7, 2016 8:27 PM
  • Exactly as Dale says. Plus:

If your projects are typically under 2000 tasks, Project is going to be the easiest and by far the cheapest solution. Primavera really only puts its nose ahead for larger more complex projects(>10,000).

The most important thing of all is scheduling skills. If you have good scheduling skills then both tools will serve you well. If you are not a skilled scheduler then you need to learn best practices as well as how to use Project or Primavera.

I've seen one client try to manage multiple projects with only 5-10 tasks each using Primavera. $500,000 later they gave up. For those projects (Tasks<100) Excel is good, especially if you have VBA code to copy all tasks to a database for cross-project reporting.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book and VBA developer.
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Thursday, October 13, 2016 8:39 AM
  • I recommend you to try both of their free trial versions before to buy.
    Friday, May 25, 2018 8:39 AM
  • The advantages and disadvantages can only be measured against the deployment context.

Make a full analysis of your business's requirements, ways of working, etc. In parallel get a deeper understanding of the tools. Then you can marry the two.

I've found differences such as:

Primavera P6 Advantages:

• Heavy use of the WBS, the ability to create rich structures for many aspects, because it's hard to use the planner has a lot of control.

MSP Advantages:

• Easier for people to get started, VBA for automating customisations, better integration with Office.

but whether these things are advantages or disadvantages for you would be impossible to know without knowing the business.

Friday, May 25, 2018 12:06 PM