none
cd drive won't open

Question

• I am performing a backup onto cd's (E drive) and my drive won't open to insert the next cd. Is there a command I can try or something, anything? Thank you 
    Monday, March 20, 2017 5:20 PM

All replies

• Most optical drives have a button on the from that you can push to open the tray.

If the button doesn't work that means one of two things:

1. the optical drive is dead and needs to be replaced
    2. the optical drive is locked by the program preventing it from opening

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, March 20, 2017 5:34 PM
  • Right-click the icon for the disc drive that is stuck, and then click Eject.

If this doesn't help then there are other way outs also. You may kindly go through the following article (applicable for all):

http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/bph07168

If all the possible solutions fail then change the CD-ROM Drive.

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:40 AM
  • Hi,

It would be grateful if you can reply to this question in order to assist you further.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?

2. Are you able to access your CD\DVD drives from Windows Explorer?

You can try to check if you are able to view CD\DVD from device manager.

Press Windows Key +R, type devmgmt.msc to open the Device Manager.

In addition, you can eject CD from CD-ROM using command prompt. Follow this step:

Go to Start -> Run -> Cmd. Now type, C:\>eject E:

Where E is the CD drive.

If you want to insert CD without pressing hard button, you can also try using the following command line:

C:\>eject E: /1.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:57 AM