How to use memory above 4GB (total of 8GB installed) Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit RRS feed

• Question

• I have been reading Windows 7 limits that amount of actual RAM the OS will use (no matter what is installed).  Windows is able to see the 8GB's of RAM (installed) but only uses 3506 (4GB limit).

I have also seen talk of basically rebuilding the kernel (don't really want to try to do that).

Is there a way, or some tweaking I can do to use RAM above 4GB's?  

William Boyd, Jr.

Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:21 PM

Answers

• you should make a Clean Install, because you cannot Upgrade your Windows 7 from Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Regards,

MCT / MCITP / MCTS / MCSA / MCSE / C|EH / CCNA

Monday, January 28, 2013 7:10 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 7, you'll need to back up your files and choose the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. Then, you'll need to restore your files and reinstall your programs. For more information about performing a custom installation

More reference:

32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions

Installing and reinstalling Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:17 AM
  • I am going to install x64.  Already ordered

Thank you everyone.

William Boyd, Jr.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:29 PM

All replies

• you can install Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit it support 8 GB of RAM, but before you installing Windows 7 64 bit make sure your Computer Hardware Support 64 bit, so you can run this tool ( Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ) from Microsoft it tell you that you can upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit or not.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor :   http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

Regards,

Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:27 PM
  • I know my computer will run Windows 7 64 bit.  I am running Windows 7 Ultimate now.  I ran the tool just to be sure.  I would have to do a custom install and re-install all my apps.

Is this the only option I have?

William Boyd, Jr.

Sunday, January 27, 2013 1:53 PM
  • you should make a Clean Install, because you cannot Upgrade your Windows 7 from Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Regards,

Monday, January 28, 2013 7:10 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 7, you'll need to back up your files and choose the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. Then, you'll need to restore your files and reinstall your programs. For more information about performing a custom installation

More reference:

32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions

Installing and reinstalling Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:17 AM
  • Hi.

The X64 is the best solution, since you can use the Serial Number on X86 or X64, no need to buy a new copy.

But I know what it's like not to have the time to do a "format"

a Kernel patch is the only way I could push windows x86 maximum amount more than 4GB.

There is a third party app I can refer you to, very easy to use. I have a Windows 7 Ult. X86 PC with 8 GB's RAM, and using all of it!.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:58 PM
  • I am going to install x64.  Already ordered

Thank you everyone.

William Boyd, Jr.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:29 PM
  • you're welcome , if you have any another question we are here to help :)

Regards,

MCT / MCITP / MCTS / MCSA / MCSE / MCP / C|EH / CCNA

Saturday, February 2, 2013 5:35 PM
  • Hi.

The X64 is the best solution, since you can use the Serial Number on X86 or X64, no need to buy a new copy.

But I know what it's like not to have the time to do a "format"

a Kernel patch is the only way I could push windows x86 maximum amount more than 4GB.

There is a third party app I can refer you to, very easy to use. I have a Windows 7 Ult. X86 PC with 8 GB's RAM, and using all of it!.

I wantincrease my meory in x86 windows 7 ultmate as no ike the 64 bit anyway as mot pros dnt run properly on that system so 32 best for me. so thow make it read all 8gb plus memory then as going upgrade memory to 16gb ?
    Saturday, August 24, 2013 10:17 PM
  • use a PAE patcher:

http://www.saferbytes.it/2013/02/28/saferbytes-x86-memory-bootkit-new-updated-build-is-out/

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:51 AM