Unable to Read USB Drive in BitLocker Without a Compatible TPM. RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Sir,

I am using HP Pavilion t689d BIOS v.2.51 revice to 3.26 dated 06/04/04. The system do not support a TPM. I have tried using Scenario 3 step-by-step success until restart computer. The BitLocker startup key or recovery password was saved in a USB device (sandisk cruzer micro 1GB). During restart my computer cannot read plugged in USB device. I found the password in the USB device same as printout password.

Q:

1. Why the computer cannot inisialized from USB drive?

2. Is it the system BIOS needs to upgrade? I have opened the manufacturer's website and did not find new driver upgrade. I also checked the BIOS configuration and boot at startup - the system BIOS bootable from C: operating system volume. Is it right or I need to change the BIOS bootable from USB drive at startup?

Thank you and best regard.

Yours sincerely,

Awang Lim

Thursday, November 9, 2006 7:01 AM

Answers

• Can you boot from usb in your bios ?

You probley need a bios update when it become avaible form HP but with a computer that 2 years you will need to talk to them

Friday, November 10, 2006 1:44 PM

All replies

• Can you boot from usb in your bios ?

You probley need a bios update when it become avaible form HP but with a computer that 2 years you will need to talk to them

Friday, November 10, 2006 1:44 PM
  • I have the same problem with my HP Pavillion t585.uk

If you check the Event Viewer there are two events recorded:

"No key file was found for volume C: during restart."

"A key was not available from required sources during restart".

I know the computer will boot using a USB so the BIOS can read the device at start-up.  I have tried different USB devices and file formats on them, nothing seems to make it work.

I have asked HP standard support lines and they have drawn blanks thus far.

I would also like to get a resolution to this one as BitLocker was part of the reason I bought the Ultimate edition (knowing full well that I didn't have  aTPM and would be needing to use a USB stick).

Anyone else share the same problem? Got a workaround?

Regards.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 4:16 PM
  • Can't say I've been able to figure out this mind boggling ordeal either.. 

I'm running a SY-P4RC350 motherboard.  Link: http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=295

My board supports booting from USB Devices.  As, I have done in the recent future as well to test a PC Doctor USB Device I use on customer computers at work....

I've tried this in FAT, FAT32 and NTFS file systems on my Sony 1GB MicroVault and also my SanDisk 1GB CruzerMicro.  I do infact "have" the .BEK file on my drive..  The issue is just as mentioned above, it simply doesn't recognize it, for whatever reason.

I hope someone finds a fix to this, I've exhausted all I have into this problem..  And, I'm not one to easily give up..  But, I've surely slowed down my efforts to find this solution..  Hopefully I'll be lucky and come across something..

I'm running a purchased retail copy on this machine (My one of many..lol)..  I'm purchasing an OEM disc  for another machine of mine next week...  Maybe I'll have better luck with it.  I was told by several fellow techs that the OEM seems more stable than the retail version..  Why?  I couldn't tell you..  I thought they were both the same..  Only diff. being no support from Microsoft with the OEM.

• Proposed as answer by ajb2008 Thursday, June 4, 2009 11:54 AM
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 8:06 AM
  • Try hitting the ESC key to reboot the system.  I have a Sandisk Cruzer and an HP dv7t notebook and it doesn't recognize the USB thumbdrive until the 3rd reboot, i.e. hit the ESC key wait for the system to reboot and tell you it cannot find the key, hit the ESC key again and wait for it again to tell you it cannot find the key, etc.  It's a pita, but it does work everytime on the 3rd reboot.  I have no idea if it has something to do with the U3 software on the thumbdrive or if something else is going on.
    • Proposed as answer by ajb2008 Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:00 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 11:59 AM