MDT 2013 U1 - Upgrade Task Sequence Win 7 -> Win 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

Have wasted two days struggling with it for now, 

What I want to complete is upgrade to Windows 10 x64 Enterprise from Windows 7 x64 Enterprise

I am using my customized image and VMware env.

Generally upgrade completes, I have 0 errors and 0 error messages, I am logged to windows 10 desktop but... every time I try to reboot computer it stops during startup on System_License_Violation issue (0x03) 

What I found is that it is related to : "The SetupType or SetupInProgress value from the setup key is missing, so setup mode could not be detected.

and this is true, SetupType is missing when deployment is completed, I reverted the snapshot, created it manually and system boots again but... I do not think this is correct way

Upgrade using Windows 10 DVD went smooth without issues so I suppose it should behave like this from MDT

I would like to find the reason why this key is not created - unfortunately don't know where it can be written - which log file.

regards

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 8:46 AM

All replies

• The upgrade Task sequence pretty much just runs setup.exe with some parameters.  There are threads for this erro on the Windows 10 forums.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 10:08 PM
  • You cannot use a custom image for the In place upgrade. You have to use the default ISO.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 8:19 PM