Nested virtualization - mac spoofing enabled but no outside in connectivity RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following setup. All Windows server 2016 RTM

Hyper-V physical

- External switch

- Nanoa Hyper-V (VM level 1)

- External switch

- Nanob (VM level 2)

I enabled mac spoofing of the nanoa virtual nic and assigned an IP to nanob.

I can connect nanob to the outside world, but I cannot reach nanob's ip from the outside no matter what I do.

Is this the expected behavior?

Cheers

• Edited by Lee c y Monday, October 10, 2016 1:46 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2016 1:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1.Please check the prerequisites first:

• A Hyper-V host running Windows Server 2016 or Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
    • A Hyper-V VM running Windows Server 2016 or Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
    • A Hyper-V VM with configuration version 8.0 or greater.
    • An Intel processor with VT-x and EPT technology.

2.There is 2 important network options about nested virtualization,mac spoofing and NAT,according your description,you have configured mac spoofing,for NAT,please check this link for details:

Run Hyper-V in a Virtual Machine with Nested Virtualization

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyperv_on_windows/user_guide/nesting

Best Regards,
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 7:59 AM
  • Thank you, but your answer is not very helpful. I have successfully setup nested virtualization so am aware of the requirements. The only thing is I cannot access the nested VM from outside in but I can access the network from inside out with mac spoofing.

So I have to use NAT to get network traffic from outside into the nested VMs?

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:27 PM
  • Hi,

>>So I have to use NAT to get network traffic from outside into the nested VMs?

MAC address spoofing and NAT mode are the two options for networking with nested virtual machines,you could have a try.

Best Regards,
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 14, 2016 5:49 AM
  • MAC spoofing on it own works ok for me for connectivity.

Hyper-V Physical Server 2016 RTM Core Hyper-V

Guest Hyper-V Server 2016 RTM Nano (MAC spoofing enabled on NIC)

Guest Nano Server 2016 RTM

Enabled MAC spoofing on the first guest and can access the second guest ok. Can ping and connect to the file share (enabled the firewall rules), and can connect a remote PowerShell tab.

So not sure what the differences would be as works in my test.

Saturday, October 15, 2016 7:09 PM