Need help in Importing User, Shared and Journals into Exchange RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been tasked with the following imports into EX07 and EX10 following an acquisition:

Shared MB 12 GB, corrupt pre-nov 2013 archives of users 30GB, shared sent items 4GB, users sent items 80GB. All in .pst format.

4-8TB of journal data to be imported into Enterprise Vault 2010 with EX2010 (in .pst format)

I'm looking for the best approach to get these imports done. Also, need to compile an assessment done on the time and performance ramifications of running these imports into EX as other migrations are currently on. Do I need to parallel run perfmon with EX counters to monitor while import is running in the background?

Is it a good idea to run import of journal into Enterprise Vault of 4-8 TB data in .pst format in one go?

Thank you for your comments...

TY

- thestriver

• Edited by thestriver Tuesday, June 3, 2014 5:50 AM
    Tuesday, June 3, 2014 5:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Thestriver,

You can use the Microsoft Exchange PST Capture tool to import the PSTs into Exchange. It is a free graphical tool from MS.

Check http://theucguy.net/exchange-pst-capture-tool-released/

Regarding EV, it might be a better idea to ask the question in Symantec forums.

TheUCGuy.Net

• Marked as answer by thestriver Thursday, June 5, 2014 12:46 AM
    Tuesday, June 3, 2014 9:54 AM
  • Hi,

In addition to Rajith's suggestion, I would like to verify the following things:

In Exchange 2007, you can use the Import-Mailbox cmdlet to import all messages types, including messages, calendar items, contacts, distribution lists, journal entries and so on. Here is an example of importing the mailbox data from the amy.pst file that is in the Sent Items folder:

Import-Mailbox -Identity amy -PSTFolderPath C:\PSTFiles\amy.pst -IncludeFolders '\Sent Items'

In Exchange 2010, you need to use the New-MailboxImportRequest cmdlet.

For more information, here is a thread for your reference.

New-MailboxImportRequest

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607310(v=exchg.141).aspx

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:16 AM

All replies

• Thanks!

I'm looking for best practices and guidance using Microsoft Exchange.

- thestriver

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 9:13 AM
  • Hi Thestriver,

You can use the Microsoft Exchange PST Capture tool to import the PSTs into Exchange. It is a free graphical tool from MS.

Check http://theucguy.net/exchange-pst-capture-tool-released/

Regarding EV, it might be a better idea to ask the question in Symantec forums.

TheUCGuy.Net

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 9:54 AM
  • Thanks, Rajith

How would you import from external storage device like a usb stick?

How much pst's at 1 go? Because I have to be wary about performance as well.

Thanks for replying.

- thestriver

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 10:09 AM
  • It all depends on the size of PSTs and your server spec. I guess you need to find a balance. Start with a couple and increase or decrease based on the performance you get.

It will be better to copy all PSTs to a central share.

TheUCGuy.Net

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 10:22 AM
  • Hi,

In addition to Rajith's suggestion, I would like to verify the following things:

In Exchange 2007, you can use the Import-Mailbox cmdlet to import all messages types, including messages, calendar items, contacts, distribution lists, journal entries and so on. Here is an example of importing the mailbox data from the amy.pst file that is in the Sent Items folder:

Import-Mailbox -Identity amy -PSTFolderPath C:\PSTFiles\amy.pst -IncludeFolders '\Sent Items'

In Exchange 2010, you need to use the New-MailboxImportRequest cmdlet.

For more information, here is a thread for your reference.

New-MailboxImportRequest

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607310(v=exchg.141).aspx

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:16 AM