"welcome screen" takes a long time [3 minutes to 45 minutes] RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

One of the user machine stay at WELCOME screen at long time. It is almost 3 minutes to 45 minutes.

Operating system is Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64 bit. No suspicious software installed in the machine other than "Google Update Helper, StoryBox version 1.9.1.0 and StoryMANIA"

This problem happens only Restart and Switch On.  can you help me on how to solve this problem

Regards, Boopathi

Monday, December 18, 2017 1:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Boopathi.

You didn't mention if your environment has one or more policies or startup scripts/tasks that could lead to such a boot delay: maybe you could try disabling the aforementioned programs and check if the system's startup speeds up.
    You could also consider using Autoruns to get a complete list of all the programs and services automatically loaded and executed at system's boot: then you can decide if you can disable one or more of them; another useful action could be running Process Monitor and selecting Options -> Enable Boot Logging, to get a complete trace of the booting process.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Monday, December 18, 2017 2:46 PM
  • Hi,

Did you logon to a domain or logon locally? 

You can create a user account, logoff and logon to see if the problem still exist. If you can logon without delay, it may be caused by a user profile.If not, it may be a machine-wide problem.

If you have mapped the network drive or apply some logon script, system will load them during the logon process. If system can't find the logon script or can't access the mapped drive, which will delay the logon process.

To help determine which one cause the problem, you may need to download the Process Monitor to capture a process during boot up.

Here is a blog which has the similar issue, which you can refer to:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/markrussinovich/2012/07/01/the-case-of-the-veeerrry-slow-logons/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:35 AM
  • Thank you. I have tried the Autoruns. The issue happens only of one user. User is able to login without any issues at Home and without network at Office (not connected in wired and wireless Office network).”

Regards, Boopathi

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 3:27 PM
  • Hi,

I have a few things that should confirm with you:

1.Did you logon to a domain or logon locally? 

2.Did other account on the machine has the same issue?

3.Do you mean the user logon at Home network with no delay?

4.Have you mapped any drive or applied logon script under this problematic account?

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 8:07 AM
  • i have captured the ProcMon log from Boot Logging. Can you please help to investigate

Regards, Boopathi

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 5:16 PM
  • Hi,

Please let me know more situation, it is appreciated that you can answer my questions firstly. Four questions mentioned above.

Then you can upload the package you saved to the network drive, share the link here. In this way, we can see complete results. 

Thanks for your understanding,

Friday, December 22, 2017 2:17 AM
  • 1.Did you logon to a domain or logon locally?

Domain 

2.Did other account on the machine has the same issue?

No

3.Do you mean the user logon at Home network with no delay?

Yes

4.Have you mapped any drive or applied logon script under this problematic account?

There is a logon script applied during logon

Regards, Boopathi

Friday, December 22, 2017 12:20 PM
  • Hi,

If the thread you posted here is the same issue, we are going to force on this thread from now on.

Did you deploy the script using gp on domain or configure it locally?

It is suggested that you can temporary delete the logon script under the problematic user account, and test to logon with Internet connection. If it can logon normally, the logon script may be the root cause.

If still has problem to logon, we should enable a registry to turn on debug logging of the user profile and windows system policy processes. The log will located at  %Systemroot%\Debug\UserMode\Userenv.log.

Please help us collect the log, upload to a network drive and share the link here.

Thank your for your patience and cooperation. Hope with our joint efforts, the problem will be resolved finally.

Best regards,

Vivian

Monday, December 25, 2017 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

What is going on?

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 9:57 AM
  • Hi Vivian Zhou,

User was on vacation and returned yesterday. I have enabled the below registry in the user machine 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics]
    "GPSvcDebugLevel"=dword:00030002 

"Userenv.log"  no longer exists in Windows 7 / Windows 8. I will get back to you once I get the logs.

Regards, Boopathi

Thursday, January 4, 2018 9:44 AM
  • Hi Vivian Zhou,

I have uploaded the gpsvc.log in the below link. Please help me. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aj2wii50lHANhHAfzdEAkV3mCeHE

Regards, Boopathi

Thursday, January 4, 2018 1:21 PM
  • I like the suggestion to create a brand new account and try to logon to see if it's a specific user profile issue or some general issue.

And then look a few other places, such as mapped network drives, logon scripts, autorun programs.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 9:45 PM
  • From the log you provided, I noticed a folder redirection policy applied takes 6 min, which seems a little bit long among the whole logon process.

It is suggested that you disable the policy to test again.

Seems that the policy is part of GPP, you can install the kb to fix the problem:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2561285/you-experience-a-memory-leak-or-a-long-domain-logon-time-in-windows-vi

Another suggestion is that you can make the machine re-join the domian. Drop off the domain and join it again.

After that , reboot your machine again, and let me know the result.

If the problem still exist, it is appreciated that you can enable the registry to turn on debug logging of the user profile and windows system policy processes

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Create a REG_DWORD with the value called UserEnvDebugLevel then set the value to 0x10002 in hexadecimal.

Logging will start immediately to the Userenv.log file located in the %SystemRoot%\Debug\UserMode \Userenv.log.  For more information about userenv.log, please refer to this article:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2008/11/11/understanding-how-to-read-a-userenv-log-part-1/

Collect the logs and upload them to a network drive. 

Thanks for your time and cooperation.

Friday, January 5, 2018 12:37 PM
  • Hi Vivian Zhou,

Thanks for your analysis. 

Unfortunately KB2561285 is not applicable when i tried to install. Because machine is already with Windows 7 SP1.

Regards, Boopathi

Friday, January 5, 2018 2:36 PM
  • Hi,

If you have any updates after you test the suggestions, please feel free to let me know the results.

Monday, January 8, 2018 1:40 AM