none
Modern Backup Storage - Upgrading from DPM 2012 to 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a few questions regarding upgrading DPM to 2016 and utilizing MBS to save disk space and increase backup speeds. Just a quick overview of the environment. We have a physical DPM box with a storage capacity of 42 TBs with 40 TB in use. We need to upgrade the OS to Win 2016 for MBS and then install DPM 2016.

Correct me if i'm wrong, my understanding is that since the disks need to be formatted by DPM to ReFS the data needs to be migrated to another storage and then migrated back onto the DPM disks after the upgrade? If so, what's the best method of doing this? In addition to this, when we move the data back onto the disks the storage will still be 40 TB because the volumes are 
    fixed with NTFS as it's file system. Is there any shrinkage that happens etc?

Regards,

Keith 

• Edited by Mr.KDoo Tuesday, July 23, 2019 4:41 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 4:35 PM

Answers

• Yes new data on the MBS will take less storage as DPM legacy storage.  

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Marked as answer by Mr.KDoo Thursday, July 25, 2019 11:40 AM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2019 9:06 AM

All replies

• What you need to do is add new volume to your DPM 2016 which will be configured as Modern Backup Storage. Stop the protection of your data sources with Retain Data option. Once done, simply add the data sources to a new protection group with Modern Backup Storage. 

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:05 AM
  • Thanks Matej,

Is there any shrinkage of the data then?

Regards,

Keith 

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 8:11 AM
  • Yes new data on the MBS will take less storage as DPM legacy storage.  

• Marked as answer by Mr.KDoo Thursday, July 25, 2019 11:40 AM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2019 9:06 AM
  • Thanks Matej,

Your answer helped me get a greater understanding of the process needed for migration. I was thinking of copying the entire volume(s)/Disk(s) rather than the actualy data within the volumes. New protection groups will need to be created and the data copied into these. 

Regards,

Keith

Thursday, July 25, 2019 11:44 AM