none
Unknown certificate expires every week RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Recently I noticed that a user certificate named CN = 870976026ev684b7 is issued to me every week and expires every one week. The notification appears at the taskbar besides the clock and it states that a certificate is expired or is not valid.

The strange thing is that under issued by it says Token Signing Public key and Intended purposes client authentication.

It is issued to 870976026ev684b7 and has no friendly name.

I did a clean install of my laptop and after a few days it appeared again. my colleagues for some reason do not have that certificate and we use the same websites intranet services etc.

This happened to both windows 10 and windows 8.1.

The pcs are joined to a domain (but it only happened to 3-4 of them , the rest 3.000 does not have that issue)

If i delete the certificate it reappears after a couple of hours.

Is there any way to find out where is it coming from? 

Thank you

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 1:59 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

Thank you for your question.

We could refer to the following steps to check:

1. Delete all Windows profiles
    2. Do a clean boot: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
    3. Run “SFC /ScanNow” in CMD
    4. Check if there are virus on those specific PCs

Please post as the following snapshot of the certificate “870976026ev684b7” for our troubleshooting:

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 24, 2015 7:41 AM
  • Hello Jim,

Steps 3 & 4 are the first things I did.

I don't know if there is any point to do 1 or 2, because this happened on a newly installed Win10 machine. actually 3 user profiles are present, the local admin, my domain account, and the MS account which I use it to sync some stuff not as a separate account.

Please find belowthe snapshot you asked.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 3:56 AM
  • Hi John,

By your post, this certificate will be expired in Sep 29,2015, so we suggest you delete this certificate and renew it from CA to check if the issue persist.

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu

Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:56 AM
  • Hi Jim,

I deleted (as I always do) and it reappeared.

My issue is that I do not know where this certificate is from.

Since it seems to be not causing any issues, it's not major, but it gets to my nervers that I have to do it every week.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7:03 AM
  • Hi John,

By this issue, we suggest you run Windows update to the lasted to check if the issue persist.

Best Regard,

Jim

Jim Xu

Thursday, October 15, 2015 3:09 AM
  • Hi Jim,

thanks for your help. WU did not resolve it.

The interesting is that it has something to do with the domain.

I deleted the certificate on Friday. During the WK I worked at home without connecting to my company's network and the certificate did not appear.

This morning and after 1-2 hours after coming to the office the cert appeared again.

Not sure what it is, but I'll check if anyone else is having that issue and will contact MS support.

Thank you

Monday, October 19, 2015 4:33 PM
  • Hi

I have the same problem in Windows 10 and Windows 8.1, into domain with self-enrollment certificate also

And I don't know yet why ..........

I'm testing in virtual machines

Saturday, March 5, 2016 2:47 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same issue on Windows 10. It repeats every week.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 8:17 AM
  • I Also have the same problem.

Serial Number :‎31 2e aa b3 4f b6 e6 23 b2 8d b1 f8 98 5f e8 f6 d5 c6 69 a9
    Issued to : 9eea35c549b484c2
    Issued by: Token Signing Public Key
    Signature algorithm : SHA1DSA
    Valid from : 04 May 2017 12:31:17
    Valid To : 11 May 2017 12:31:17

KeyUsage : Digital Signature, Key Encipherment (a0)

Thursday, May 4, 2017 2:58 PM
  • I have encrypted some data with this damn certificate, and now after 1 month I can no longer decrypt it!
    can someone help me?
    Friday, February 22, 2019 1:41 PM