windows could not start block level backup engine service RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Im  trying to perform system state backup for one of the server its unable to run. Last week we have performed the system state backup without any issue.

Operating System:2008

OS Version: R2 Small Business Server 2011 x64 Edition Build 7600

RAM-32 GB

Following event ID is reported in the logs;

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Backup

Date:          7/2/2013 2:25:35 PM

Event ID:      754

Task Category: None

Level:         Information

Keywords:     

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      ABC

The Block Level Backup Engine service has stopped.

When we try to restart the Block Level Backup Engine service we get error as “Windows could not start the Block Level Backup Engine Service on Local Computer.

Error 0x800700b7: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.”

I have already restarted Virtual disk and Volume shadow copy service, but no luck.

Any help in resolving this issue will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Keshava

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:03 PM

Answers

• All,

Here is the solution which worked for me ;

Services.msc >properties page of Block Level Backup Service Engine
    Changed to Log On tab
    Instead of Log On as Local System Account changed to Log On as admin@domain.local (select the account with admin creds), entered the password of admin and closed the properties page.

Now restart the Block Level Backup Service Engine and re-run the job, backup completes without any issue.

Thank you

Keshava

Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

Please first check if SYSTEM account has Full Control permission on this folder:
    %windir%\system volume information

Detailed steps see:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/1e5e152f-4bb7-427d-bd77-1525596c1864/block-level-backup-service-fails-on-start-dcom-issue-perhaps

If issue still exists, please check whether there is any specific error logged in %windir%\logs\windowsserverbackup.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 4, 2013 12:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please first check if SYSTEM account has Full Control permission on this folder:
    %windir%\system volume information

Detailed steps see:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/1e5e152f-4bb7-427d-bd77-1525596c1864/block-level-backup-service-fails-on-start-dcom-issue-perhaps

If issue still exists, please check whether there is any specific error logged in %windir%\logs\windowsserverbackup.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 4, 2013 12:22 PM
  • All,

Here is the solution which worked for me ;

Services.msc >properties page of Block Level Backup Service Engine
    Changed to Log On tab
    Instead of Log On as Local System Account changed to Log On as admin@domain.local (select the account with admin creds), entered the password of admin and closed the properties page.

Now restart the Block Level Backup Service Engine and re-run the job, backup completes without any issue.

Thank you

Keshava

Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:13 PM
  • Your AWESOME!  I have been trying for over a week to get my backup running and this simple little trick worked like a charm!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:20 AM
  • Keshava - You just saved my day! Thank you SOOO much!
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 2:32 PM
  • this solved my issue! thank you!
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:13 PM
  • You rock!  Thanks for sharing that!  I have been beating my head against this for hours!
    Friday, June 24, 2016 2:50 PM
  • Thank you for the advice, your fix worked here too. There were a few steps taken before though to get this to work-

1. Block Level Backup Service was set from Manual to Automatic

2. Remote Procedure Call (RPC) was set from Manual to Automatic

3. RPC Endpoint Mapper was set from Manual to Automatic   

4. Windows Backup was set from Manual to Automatic          

5. Virtual disk and Volume shadow copy service were set from Manual to Automatic

6. As advised above, the Block Level Backup Service logon was set to the Windows (7) PC logon, that in the case here is called Owner, it can be Adminstrator or whatever your logon name is, with password. 

SYSTEM has Full Control permission System Volume information (SVI) folder, and is the only entity with any control over SVI.  SVI remains read only to Owner, and is ghosted when viewing but not totally hidden.  Under the advanced Tab for SVI, Owner has ownership of SYSTEM as Owner has administrative rights. 

Thank you, I spent two days looking for the solution to this backup-not-working issue your instruction at the end saw it work, much appreciated. 

Sunday, March 10, 2019 5:13 AM