FIM 2010 - Extensible Management agent not displaying the export errors to Sync engine console RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I have developed a management agent for a Infrastructure application using powershell commands. The management agent is ExportCall based.

In the method "ExportEntry()" I am invoking some particular powershell commands (in C#). In case, the command executes successfully, the Sync engine displays correct results. But, if the command fails to execute (for reasons specific to the application for which the powershell command belongs to e.g. account already exists), then an exception is thrown by the command. What I want is that this exception should be displayed at FIM Sync engine console (in the Middle lower pane) as Export error in run statistics. This will enable us to identify that there are some errors that have occurred during export to connected system using powershell commands. As of now, in case of Export error, there is nothing displayed for the record in the FIM console.

Please note that as of now, we can see the exceptions in the eventvwr logs, but not in the FIM Sync engine console.

Please suggest what I am missing ..

Mayank Vaish

Friday, September 21, 2012 2:24 PM

All replies

• A consultant at our company encountered the same (or similar) issue. We couldn't find anything wrong with his setup. I'll see if there was a resolution. As a check - which FIM Version and build number are you seeing this on?

Frank C. Drewes III - Architect - Oxford Computer Group

Saturday, September 22, 2012 5:17 AM
  • Hi Frank,

The FIM version we are using is 4.0.3606.2. Waiting for reply from you and others...

Mayank Vaish

Monday, September 24, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Hi Mayank,

If this is ECMA 1, I have seen instances where export only ECMA's don't catch errors as they are supposed to. You will need to change the configuration of the MA to be import and export (even if you never run an import). You will also need to make sure you throw an exception that ExportEntry() can throw to be seen by the Sync Service. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms697211(v=vs.85).aspx under Exceptions.

Monday, September 24, 2012 7:16 AM
  • Hi Cameron,

Yes, this is ECMA 1. The configuration of MA is already import and export. Also, I am throwing the ExtensibleExtensionException exception.

Mayank Vaish

Monday, September 24, 2012 6:06 PM
  • Hi Mayank,

I mentioned my experiences with this issue earlier on http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ilm2/thread/156031b2-3bbd-486c-95eb-52249cef3c52. I've found that if you disable the "Enable merging of "Pending Export" and "Export in Progress"" setting on the Configure Extensions tab of your created management agent, you will correctly see the errors appearing in the FIM run history.

Monday, September 24, 2012 11:47 PM
  • Hi Mayank,

I mentioned my experiences with this issue earlier on http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ilm2/thread/156031b2-3bbd-486c-95eb-52249cef3c52. I've found that if you disable the "Enable merging of "Pending Export" and "Export in Progress"" setting on the Configure Extensions tab of your created management agent, you will correctly see the errors appearing in the FIM run history.

This worked for me, thanks :).
    Friday, June 14, 2013 1:32 PM