none
Regarding Custom attributes of AD from SharePoint 2013 to 2016

Question

• Currently I am upgrading from  SharePoint 2013 to SharePoint 2016.

In SharePoint 2013, there are custom attributes like extensionAttribute9,extensionAttribute6, company etc which are mapped to User Properties of User Profile Store.

These fields are missing when I migrated to SharePoint 2016. The method used is AD Import. But in SharePoint 2013, it is SharePoint Profile Synchronization which is  missing in SharePoint 2016.

Can I achieve the above with out MIM ? 

Monday, May 1, 2017 8:15 PM

All replies

• You can just remap them, so yes you can use AD Import. But here's the laundry list of AD Import's limitations:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219646.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#begin

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, May 1, 2017 8:19 PM
  • That is great.  If I recreate the attributes and do an AD Import, these custom fields can be fetched right.

Mapped Attributes column is missing in SharePoint 2016 User Profile 

Monday, May 1, 2017 8:33 PM
  • Hi,

What do you mean that mapped attributes column is missing in SharePoint 2016 user profile?

In your figure, the mapped attributes work fine.

After you create custom user property with new mapping, please run an import, which should work as expected.

Note that AD Import has some limitations, e.g. it doesn't support certain types of AD attributes.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 2:02 AM
  • Sorry, mapped attribute column was not showing initially, now it is there.

Does the extensionAttribute is supported by AD Import ?

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 9:16 AM
  • Yes, extensionAttributes are supported as they're simple types (strings).

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 4:30 PM
  • I can import extensionAttributes to the User Profile from AD. However Thumbnail Photos are not getting imported to My Site - User Photos : Profile Pictures using the following method - Update-SPProfilePhotoStore

https://richardstk.com/2013/04/12/import-user-photos-from-active-directory-into-sharepoint-2013/

Is there any option without MIM

• Edited by ghsajith Sunday, May 14, 2017 1:59 PM update
    Sunday, May 14, 2017 1:58 PM
  • AD Import doesn't import profile pictures. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219646.aspx

Neither does MIM. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt627723(v=office.16).aspx

The best option is to leverage Exchange 2013 or 2016 to use photos from Exchange instead. The other option is to create a custom process to import the photos from Active Directory; Exchange will provide the highest quality, though.

Trevor Seward

Sunday, May 14, 2017 5:40 PM
  • Current SharePoint 2013 User Profile  fetch (_MThumb) photos from Profile Pictures under User Photos in My Site. Then I replace _MThumb with _LThumb for better photo in my code.

I was using the following power shell command for importing photos to User Profile 

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell -erroraction SilentlyContinue
    Update-SPProfilePhotoStore -CreateThumbnailsForImportedPhotos 1 -MySiteHostLocation http://mysite:81

This is not working in SharePoint 2016. Is there any Power Shell Command which can be used for SharePoint 2016.

Monday, May 15, 2017 7:12 AM
  • How are you getting pictures into SharePoint? That cmdlet only converts pictures that have a GUID for a file name into the 3 photos.

Trevor Seward

Monday, May 15, 2017 3:34 PM
  • You can achieve your goal in two ways as AD import won't get you user pics.

1. Using PowerShell script

2. Upgrade User Profile service application from SP2013 to SP2016. You need to make sure old mysite has user pics, though.

Hope this helps. 

Monday, May 15, 2017 4:28 PM
  • Do you have Power Shell Script to import the  AD Photos.
    Monday, May 15, 2017 4:46 PM
  • I am using Active Directory import, mapped Picture user property to thumbnailPhoto attribute.

Monday, May 15, 2017 4:50 PM
  • I am using Active Directory import, mapped Picture user property to thumbnailPhoto attribute.

Again, read the links I posted. Neither MIM nor AD Import can import pictures. You'll have to create a custom process.

Trevor Seward

Monday, May 15, 2017 5:02 PM
  • Ok. Also I am getting  the following error.It keeps repeating

GetUserProfile_RetrieveUser_Cache ExpectedFailure: Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserNotFoundException: An error was encountered while retrieving the user profile.   at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileCache.GetUserData(UserProfileManager objManager, Nullable`1 recordId, Guid gAcct, String strAcct, Byte[] bSid, String strEmail, Boolean doNotResolveToMasterAccount)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfile.RetrieveUser(String strAcct, Guid gAcct, Byte[] bSid, Nullable`1 recordId, Boolean doNotResolveToMasterAccount, Boolean loadFullProfile, Boolean loadColleagueRecordIds, String strEmail) d37bf29d-c431-1098-3b51-f61e3bf4d439

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:04 AM
  • Can I install MIM on SharePoint Server ? Or it has to be in a separate server
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:10 PM
  • If the client is not willing to go for an additional server, can i install it on database server ?
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:28 AM
  • Yes, you can install MIM on SQL server but the idea itself is bad for Prod. Here is the link for your reference:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt627723%28v=office.16%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 

Thursday, May 18, 2017 9:10 PM
  • Please find the screenshots

Friday, May 19, 2017 8:53 PM
  • Stopped-connectivity means you have connectivity issues. This could be from DNS problems, to port (firewall) issues, etc. for the account to connect to a DC, or it could be that you haven't properly delegated Replicate Directory Changes on the forest root as well as CN=Configuration container (accessed via adsiedt.msc). The MIM Sync Service console will have a better description of the issue.

I wrote a series of articles to go through the process of deploying MIM. https://thesharepointfarm.com/microsoft-identity-manager-series/

Trevor Seward

Friday, May 19, 2017 8:55 PM
  • May be they updated the link after it was posted here but it seems like MIM does support profile photos.

"3. Imports user profile photos automatically."

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt627723(v=office.16).aspx

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 9:18 PM