Azure VM (ADC) failing updates-PendingDeletes, Inflight folders have plenty of files RRS feed

• Question

• We are facing the issue since last few months. An Azure VM holding ADC started failing updates. We have ran Dism ScamHealth, RestoreHealth,StartComponentCleanup, SFC /ScanNow etc but no avail. Thousands of files in PendingDeletes and InFlight folders. PendingRenames is empty while WinSxs directory got migration.xml and no pending.xml though.

Close examination of CBS and DISM logs says that there are some deleteme files which aren't getting deleted.

Please help me out. Relevant logs are given below 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_rQuGYX4fWvVzd1MmZkdmE2RlU/view?usp=drivesdk

Monday, April 10, 2017 12:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Nitish2309,

1. Where does the VM update from, WSUS server or Microsoft update?

2. What is the OS of the VM?

3. Please reset windows updates components on the VM, check if it could help;

4. Also try clean SoftwareDistribution folder on the VM, stop windows update service, then delete the folder in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, start windows update service;

5. What's more, if it is hard to troubleshoot the issue, I would recommend restoring the VM from a last health checkpoint, then do update again.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:18 AM
  • Hi Nitish2309,

1. Where does the VM update from, WSUS server or Microsoft update?

2. What is the OS of the VM?

3. Please reset windows updates components on the VM, check if it could help;

4. Also try clean SoftwareDistribution folder on the VM, stop windows update service, then delete the folder in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, start windows update service;

5. What's more, if it is hard to troubleshoot the issue, I would recommend restoring the VM from a last health checkpoint, then do update again.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Hi Anne,

Thanks for taking it up.

1. VM by default takes update from WSUS though during course of investigation, I tried to take updates from MS and update accordingly, tried manual installation but didn't help.

2. I did try resenting components, renamed Softwaredistribution folder also but no avail.

3. Unfortunately, there are no health checkpoints available and being ADC I am hesitant on that path.

Logs from DISM/CBS etc attached in last post 

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 5:49 PM
  • Hi Anne, 

I managed to resolve the issue based on another conversation in the forum which gave me correct pointers to solve the issue

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/expression/en-US/738ff439-90bd-4910-8a68-7baeb4635af9/failed-updates-on-windows-virtual-machine?forum=WAVirtualMachinesforWindows&prof=required

Friday, April 14, 2017 2:06 PM
  • Hi Nitish,

Glad to hear you have solved the issue and thanks for sharing the information. Then you may mark your reply as answer, so that the useful information can be highlighted.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, April 17, 2017 9:53 AM