undesired screen lock during task Windows 10 task sequence on hyper-v gen 2 (UEFI) VM RRS feed

• Question

• This one is really weird! Hopefully someone can help with this:

I have a Windows 10 task sequence I have built. I test it against VMware (both BIOS and UEFI VMs), Citrix (BIOS VM), KVM (both BIOS and UEFI VMs), and Hyper-V VMs (both gen 1 bios and gen 2 uefi VMs). It runs successfully on every type of VM listed. The problem is that on the Hyper-V Gen 2 UEFI test VM it seems to go into screen lock during the task sequence run. The task sequence still runs but you have to unlock the screen to see its progress. Oddly, if you look at the console preview pane for the gen 2 VM in Hyper-V Manager it shows the task sequence status window even though opening an actual console session just shows the lock screen. On every other VM I test against (including the Gen 1 Hyper-V VM) the task sequence status bar displays as expected and the screen never locks. Since they are all running the exact same task sequence I can't come up with any reason why the Gen 2 VM appears to lock the screen and the others do not. Fundamentally its just an annoyance but it bothers me that I can't find any reason why it is happening.

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, June 9, 2016 6:59 PM

Answers

• Hi

That's because the Hyper-V Gen2 VM is using Enhanced Sessions (like RDP) - if you just connect with the console view then it will be shown normaly.

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Friday, June 10, 2016 9:04 PM

All replies

• Hi

That's because the Hyper-V Gen2 VM is using Enhanced Sessions (like RDP) - if you just connect with the console view then it will be shown normaly.

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Friday, June 10, 2016 9:04 PM
  • Thanks, that makes perfect sense... Wasn't really familiar with enhanced session mode before but now I am... :)

Monday, June 13, 2016 12:43 PM