HyperV Server 2016 - Remote Management RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to remote manage my hyper-v server, I get the following error in trying to add the remote connection:

"An error occured while attempting to connect to server 'my.server.tld'. Check that the Virtual Machine Management service is running and that you are authorized to connect to the server.

Hyper-V encountered an error trying to access an object on computer 'my.server.tld' because the object was not found. The object might have been deleted. Verify that the Virtual Machine Management service on the computer is running.
    "
    The Virtual Machine Management service is actually running on the Hyper-V Server.

I worked through various docs, tutorials both official MS and community but found no answers.
    Doing so, I'm now able to remote manage via Management Console and PowerShell but not with Hyper-V Manager.

So I'm able to manage the Hyper-V server via PowerShell with no problems, also on remote clients over the internet.

It is a workgroup environment with both client and hyper-v server in different workgroups. the hyperv server is on the internet.

What I was able to find in the Hyper-V Server logs is the following entry everytime I try to connect from a client:

HyperV Server -> Event Viewer -> Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> WMI-Activity -> Operational

"Id = {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}; ClientMachine = NUSHABA; User = NUSHABA\ht; ClientProcessId = 1156; Component = Unknown; Operation = Start IWbemServices::GetObject - root\virtualization\v2 : Msvm_VirtualSystemManagementService.CreationClassName="Msvm_VirtualSystemManagementService",Name="vmms",SystemCreationClassName="Msvm_ComputerSystem",SystemName="SIPAHI"; ResultCode = 0x80041002; PossibleCause = Unknown"

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sunday, December 24, 2017 8:01 PM

All replies

• ok, found the answer in writing the post.

if you look at the log entry, the error mentions;

ClientMachine=NUSHABA -> this is the actual computer name of the HyperV Server

SystemName=SIPAHI -> this is provided by the client by the connection FQNS in the hyper-v management console: like: SIPAHI.myserver.com

so the solution in this case is, that the subdomain part of the FQNS in the client and the computer name of the hyperV do match.

eg: NUSHABA.myserver.com -> this works!

or changing the hyper-v server computer name to: SIPAHI would work to.

but seriously Microsoft, you can do better. the whole remote management environment setup experience is quite a mess. unnecessary time consuming, not so Microsoft at all. built-in tools and more worked out error messages please.

Sunday, December 24, 2017 8:14 PM