No PDF Conversion For Word 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying the Office 2010 trial (I have an older version of Office on the computer but it now says it's uninstalled, and unable to reinstall, following a computer update from ME to XP) and trying to convert a Word document to PDF using the Save As or Save & Send features.  Every single time the program crashes on me.

I realized I can make it get farther (past repagination) into the saving process by making all page layout settings the same for all pages, but it still can't convert to PDF.  What's more, if I try converting it with online PDF conversion websites, they are unable to, and report errors as well.

I suspect if I saved first to 2003 doc format then converted to PDF it would work, but when switching to 2003 format I lose special text effects.  I think those text effects may be causing the crash, trouble is I want them as part of the document as they play a key role.  Another possibility is my resizing of tables (whose borders I then removed) that could be making conversion difficult.

I've tried just about everything I can think of by this point.  Is it possible for Word 2010 to convert to PDFs?  I even tried opening the document with OpenOffice as well as a few free PDF converters and converting through those, and they crashed as well.  I also updated to Microsoft.net Framework 2.0 to ensure that wasn't an issue.  It seems to be a serious formatting issue within Office that is causing the problems, but I can't find a workaround.

Editing works fine for me.  I only have issues when trying to save to PDF.  Word crashes and displays an error message time and time again, and this has been going on for a week or so now.

Product:  Microsoft Office Home & Business 2010 Trial Version, Word 2010

Issue: Converting .doc to PDF via Word 2010; crashes during save process.

Error Received: 'Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.  The information you were working on might be lost.  Microsoft Word can try to recover it for you.'

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:03 AM

All replies

• Well, I did finally find a solution, uploading through pdfonline, so it did finally convert.  I noticed when uploading the document to Scribd though, the text effects don't turn out right (though they do in Docstoc).  I think I will make another version for Scribd to ensure text effects look right, and suspect the effects may have caused problems with something I found called PDF A and PDF X compliant standards. 
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:00 AM
  • Alright, thanks.  So far the PDF converter at PDFOnline has been getting the job done and making very good-looking PDFs, but I may try the conversion tool you recommended should anything go wrong with PDFOnline. 

In case anyone else ever has similar issues, I learned the following:

1. While MS Word 2010 Styles (Home tab, right side) don't cause problems, Text Effects (Home tab, left side - silver 'A' icon with Outline, Shadow, Reflection, Glow) do cause problems for saving and converting, not just to Word 2010 but other websites as well.  Removing use of Text Effects and changing to Styles should fix problems for saving to PDF.

2. Word has a 'Prepare for Sharing' feature on the File tab which lets you check for issues, including custom XML data (which I suspect may include any formatting of table widths).  This helps meet PDF A/X compliance standards.  Actually, PDFOnline is aware of these, per here , which is probably why they designed their site to manage files which don't meet those standards.  Wikipedia has info on the standards here .  Be careful with using this 'Prepare for Sharing' button though.  Save right before and then check afterwards to make sure you're happy with the result.  If you have a huge document, this can mess with the look of your document dramatically, and the Undo feature doesn't seem to reverse it, so it could force you to discard changes back to your last Save, if removing or altering in unacceptable ways.

3. If one really needs to use Text effects in a PDF as I did, I would again recommend PDF Online, which actually seems to be converting the files in better condition than MS Word's conversion itself (they convert as a webpage, so you just go to File>Save As>PDF).  I uploaded versions of my recently converted file to DocStoc and to Scribd .  The Docstoc version has special text effects in quotes, the Scribd version does not.  The Docstoc was made with PDFOnline, the Scribd version with Microsoft Word 2010.  As you can see, the Docstoc appears much clearer and visible, but perhaps this could just be a problem with Scribd - I haven't verified yet.  I wouldn't think so though since Scribd is the more prominent site, and shouldn't be messing with viewing quality, I would think.

Anyway, hopefully that should help anyone seeking to convert to PDF with MS Word 2010 - there are options, though if you don't know about them it will prove very difficult it first.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Right now I'm uploading a new version to Scribd that's been made with PDFOnline, rather than MS Word 2010, to see if the quality changes, or if it just looks worse in Scribd.  Text effects on Scribd still disappear I notice, apparently the Shadow effect does not work well with Scribd.  I will upload a new version without the effects now.

EDIT: Yeah, that definitely settles it. The new version made with PDFOnline is definitely more crisp and clear than the one with MS Word 2010. The PDFOnline version has turned out darker, with thicker characters than the MS Word 2010 version, so for my purposes at least, PDFOnline is converting a file in much more improved quality.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:59 PM