Strange "Bookmark not defined" error RRS feed

• Question

• The short version:

What would cause the insertion of an invalid bookmark like: { X "," } in a Word document?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The long version:

I received a rather simple Word 2016 document, containing a list of houses and occupants.  It also contains two indexes at the end, one for the names of the houses, one for the names of the occupants.

When trying to print the document, the (in)famous "Error! Bookmark not defined" error message started showing.

[image removed in this first post]

Some more details are visible with the show marks command

After selecting the "Error!" string and with the help of <Shift><F9> it appears that at several places a bookmark reading { X "," } has been inserted.  The X not being a valid identifier, the error popped up.

The index entries for the houses and persons are OK.  After removing the { X "," } bookmarks, everything runs fine.  But where do they come from?  Any idea?

Running Office Word 2016 on Windows 10 Home 1709, 64 bit

Sunday, February 4, 2018 9:15 PM

All replies

• Your post suggests you've had some Index (XE) fields from which most of the content has been deleted.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, February 5, 2018 4:15 AM
  • Cannot add pictures until my account has been verified.  Sorry.
    Monday, February 5, 2018 9:58 AM
  • Hi,

If possible, you could upload images to OneDrive and share the link or you could send images or sample file to our email address:
    ibsofc@microsoft.com
    Note: Please add the URL of the case in the email subject or body, please make sure that you have hidden your private information

Based on your description, I couldn’t make it to add a bookmark name that contains punctuations except underline. 

Also, please provide more information about {X “,”}. IS it in index? Does it have a hyperlink? Does this document contains word fields ?

In addition, according to the error code” Error! Bookmark not defined”, you may want to give this resolution steps a try:
    1. Check for the presence of the table of content topics in the word document.
    2. Check the formatting of the table of content topics in a word document it should be a heading or a subtitle.
    3. Select the entire table of content and press  Ctrl + Shift +F9 to convert the table content to a static field.
    4. Right click the table of content and select update.
    Any updates on your side, feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Aaron Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, February 5, 2018 10:07 AM
  • I sent a mail to ibsofc with the document reduced to one page.

Thank you for looking into this.

Regards,
    Nand

Monday, February 5, 2018 1:15 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the sample file and sorry for the delay. I looked into the sample file you sent, “ { } ” is a simple of word field. Word field in Word, is more like function in Excel. Excel doesn’t support a function that doesn’t exist in Function library, so do word field. Since {X “,”} is not a legit field code in word, so you will have to remove it to make your file to work fine. More information about supported field codes in word, please refer to List of field codes in Word.

Any updates on your side, feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Aaron Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Aaron .Zhang Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:54 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Aaron .Zhang Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8:48 AM
    Monday, February 12, 2018 6:57 AM
  • Thank you all for your replies, but I still do not have an answer on my initial question: What would cause the insertion of an invalid bookmark like: { X "," } in a Word document?

Anyhow, I was asked to move the discussion back to the Microsoft Community.  Maybe better close this thread?

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:06 AM
  • As I indicated in my first reply, it's probably because you started off with an XE field, then deleted most of the content. That might have been the result of an errant Find/Replace operation, for example. Whatever the cause, Word didn't create the fields of its own accord.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by Aaron .Zhang Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8:48 AM
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 11:05 AM
  • Hi,

It has been a while since your last reply, Macropod’s respond makes a good point. You may want to check if it helps.

Best Regards,

Aaron Zhang

• Edited by Aaron .Zhang Wednesday, February 21, 2018 9:44 AM
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8:54 AM