ShortDate format for BEx Analyzer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am in the process of sequencing SAP 7.30 patch level 10 along with BEx Analyzer. And I am pretty new to App-v 5.0, however have a good exposure working with 4.6.

My question is

I have a MS office sequened package and another package for SAP with BEX. I connected these two apps with connection group.

BEx opens up with excel as it installs excel add-in. Now, we want a particular short date format say yyyy/mm/dd in BEx workbooks as per revised SAP standards . There is a HKCU registry to modify it but as expected it modifies for all the excel or other relevant files. However we do not want to modify any other files except BEx related files.

I was wondering if there is any workaround in app-v to isolate this reg key only for BEx app? There can be a possible option of using macro but I wanted to explore other options if possible.

Also how do we see virtual registries on the client m/c? I am no longer able to differentiate b/w merge and override view if i open the virtual reg using /appvve command contrary to the previous app-v versions.

Thanks for your help!

Monday, June 29, 2015 3:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Karsjees,

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International" (where your regional keys are) act as pass through keys for AppV5.  If you add them to your package they take NO effect.  You need to edit the users native hive through a prelaunch script or something of that ilk.

May I suggest you vote for this enhancement request to enable regional options to be virtualized?
    Friday, July 3, 2015 7:18 AM

All replies

• This will not work, as both Office and SAP BEx are in the same connectiongroup. The regkey set through your BEx package will always be laid down over your VE. So every time you open up excel, SAP BEx will be there to with that specific regkey.

Have a look at this article. It explains where all your VE registry keys and Files are written to.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 3:49 PM
  • Thanks for your helpful response, got a better insight at registry structure here.

Now, I am not sure if I am missing out something but I am not able to get this date setting as explained above visible through my app-v package. I added the registry key for the setting through my package, tried merged n override view but still can't get the date setting modified.

I do see the registry being written in opaque n translucent view but can't achieve the desired result. I laso tried variious sequences of applications in the connection group. Still no avail.

Plz help me understand this behavior.

Friday, July 3, 2015 3:39 AM
  • Hi Karsjees,

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International" (where your regional keys are) act as pass through keys for AppV5.  If you add them to your package they take NO effect.  You need to edit the users native hive through a prelaunch script or something of that ilk.

May I suggest you vote for this enhancement request to enable regional options to be virtualized?
    Friday, July 3, 2015 7:18 AM
  • Hey Trentent,

Thanks for ur response. I was in the process of implementing this in my package.

So, I added a script in my package to run during Add Package event which appends the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International" value to the virtual registry key location. In addition to that I also had my sShortDate registry in my package.

Now, I publish the applications one by one and cross-checked the registry hive for the modification. Happy :) since the registry has been modified as expected. But then I add and enable the connection group where I have MS Office, SAP and Adobe Flash Player. The registry settings are now overwritten and hence the desired result is not achieved. Note: I had SAP at the top of the connection group sequence.

On disabling the connection group , we get to see the previously modified registries

There must be something in MS OFfice package which takes the priority and overwrites the keys...haven't figured it out yet.

Any ideas to prevent these keys from getting overwritten when in connection group or make this work?

Any help is appreciated!

• Edited by Karsjees Monday, July 6, 2015 7:47 PM
    Monday, July 6, 2015 7:45 PM
  • Hi Karsjees,

I use a prelaunch batch file to set my values then immediately launch my application.  This seems to work for my scenario, not sure if you can utilize it too?

Prelaunch.cmd

::Setup Localization settings
         > "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International]
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "iCountry"="2"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "iCurrDigits"="2"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "iCurrency"="0"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "iDate"="1"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "iDigits"="2"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "iLZero"="1"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "iMeasure"="0"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "iNegCurr"="1"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "iTime"="0"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "iTLZero"="0"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "Locale"="00001009"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "s1159"="AM"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "s2359"="PM"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "sCountry"="Canada"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "sCurrency"="$"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "sDate"="/"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "sDecimal"="."
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "sLanguage"="ENC"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "sList"=","
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "sLongDate"="MMMM d, yyyy"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "sShortDate"="dd/MM/yyyy"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "sThousand"=","
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "sTime"=":"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "DefaultBlindDialFlag"=hex:00
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "sTimeFormat"="h:mm:ss tt"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "iTimePrefix"="0"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "sMonDecimalSep"="."
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "sMonThousandSep"=","
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "iNegNumber"="1"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "sNativeDigits"="0123456789"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "NumShape"="1"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "iCalendarType"="1"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "iFirstDayOfWeek"="6"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "iFirstWeekOfYear"="0"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "sGrouping"="3;0"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "sMonGrouping"="3;0"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "sPositiveSign"=""
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "sNegativeSign"="-"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\Control Panel\International\Geo]
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "Nation"="39"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PageSetup]
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "header"="&w&bPage &p of &P"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "footer"="&u&b&d"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "margin_bottom"="0.750000"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "margin_left"="0.750000"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "margin_right"="0.750000"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.reg" ECHO "margin_top"="0.750000"
    regedit /s "%TEMP%\1.reg"

> "%TEMP%\1.cmd" ECHO @ECHO OFF
        >> "%TEMP%\1.cmd" ECHO cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic\v7.9\Shared Files"
        >> "%TEMP%\1.cmd" ECHO START "" EpicD79.exe %*

:RELAUNCH
    cmd.exe /c "%TEMP%\1.cmd" /appvve:aef1abd8-2ac1-4300-856a-31abbf90d70c_89c14a0a-fb18-4488-a240-368bfaaf3bed

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 4:55 AM