Exchange 2007 - Messaging interface has returned an unknown error

Question

• We have installed Exchange 2007 on our corporate network and are in the process of converting all users from an IMAP server to Exchange.  All but two of the XP Pro SP2/Office 2003 desktops converted cleanly.  You can view and receive emails on these two desktops, but you cannot reply or create new email and you receive this error message:

The messaging interface has returned an unknown error.  If the problem persists, restart Outlook.

I have uninstalled and re-installed Office and downloaded all critical updates for all applications.   There are not many answers in the KB so I thought I would try here. If anyone has a clue what could be happening, please let me know.

Thx

kw

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:45 AM

Answers

• I did figure out a fix for this.  Not very glamourous, but it did work. 

• Log on as the administrator for the affected desktops
    • Open Explorer and go to C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>
    • Save off the users Desktop and Favorites somewhere
    • Delete the folder <user name>.  Answer Yes to all delete messages, even the system files.
    • Log off and back on as <user name> to rebuild the profile.
    • Move the Desktop and Favorites back into \Documents and Settings\<user name>
    • Start up Outlook to rebuild it's profile

Hope this helps!

kw

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:10 PM

All replies

• We are having the same message returned to us on attempting to move emails to a users archive. Running Outlook 2007, Exchcange Server 2003. My first thought is a compatability problem, but MS has indicated that 2K7 is compatable...

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:29 PM
  •  

Same issue with Outlook 2007, but running Exchange 2003... Same as Mr. Wade above.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:34 PM
  • I did figure out a fix for this.  Not very glamourous, but it did work. 

• Log on as the administrator for the affected desktops
    • Open Explorer and go to C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>
    • Save off the users Desktop and Favorites somewhere
    • Delete the folder <user name>.  Answer Yes to all delete messages, even the system files.
    • Log off and back on as <user name> to rebuild the profile.
    • Move the Desktop and Favorites back into \Documents and Settings\<user name>
    • Start up Outlook to rebuild it's profile

Hope this helps!

kw

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:10 PM
  •  

I was able to resolve this same issue by just deleting the Outlook 2007 profile and re-creating it.  Didnt have to remove the entire user profile.

• Proposed as answer by Forzatus Friday, August 6, 2010 2:12 PM
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 7:56 PM
  • Im confused as to why one would use a .pst  when their backend server is Exchange.   It doesnt seem to be that the PST file is corrupt, it seems that it is the profile on the machine.   Also, 2 times in this post part of the resolution included deleteing the profile and no PST was mentioned.  

Could you explain how you arrived at this solution?
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 1:56 PM
  •  david.tooley wrote:

I was able to resolve this same issue by just deleting the Outlook 2007 profile and re-creating it.  Didnt have to remove the entire user profile.

I agree with David, I was having this error message when trying to empty the Deleted Items folder for a user, recreated the profile solved the problem !
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:44 PM
  • Same problem, when deleting all items in the "Deleted Items" I would get this problem. I fixed it my deleting the outlook.ost file in C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\outlook. After doing that, I restarted Outlook, waited for everything to re-sync with Exchange server and I haven't seen the problem since.
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 1:27 PM
  •  cshugg wrote:
    Same problem, when deleting all items in the "Deleted Items" I would get this problem. I fixed it my deleting the outlook.ost file in C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\outlook. After doing that, I restarted Outlook, waited for everything to re-sync with Exchange server and I haven't seen the problem since.

My reply is a little bit of of the subject, but I leave Offline Mode enabled to laptop users only. Some people in my organization have mailboxes insanely big, and having a local copy of the mailbox significantly decreases the system performance (PST, OST cannot be defragmented), desktop users don't need offline mode here, our network is not too busy.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 1:34 PM
  • I get the same error when trying to start any new email, or trying to reply to any incoming email...

However, I DO NOT have an .ost files in the referenced (above) folder! 
    • Proposed as answer by Tom Marples Saturday, July 10, 2010 1:48 PM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:38 PM
  • The Outlook personal data file is too large,

No outlook fixes will work, select the data file in explorer go to properties and restore it to an old point

Once you get back into you mailbox you can then delete older messages (back up) from the inbox and it will work correctly

Saturday, July 10, 2010 1:50 PM
  • I am having the same problem... where the message "the messaging interface has returned an unkown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook". This appears when a User tries to same an email with an attachment. It is happening random times during the day. and the user is running outlook 2007, exchange 2007.

Any Idea's into the what would be causing this problem?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:21 AM
  • Take outlook off cashed mode, close outlook and then delete the OST file. Restart outlook again. Put back in cashed mode if you want and it will recreate the OST file.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:09 PM
  • same problem here. Outlook 2007, Exchange 2007, cached mode, user tries to save a message with a pdf attached and receives the message below - I have recreated the outlook profile twice and its not a pst file.

"The messaging interface has returned an unknown error.  If the problem persists, restart Outlook. "

any idea's? thanks.

• Proposed as answer by Thunder005 Friday, November 19, 2010 2:39 PM
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 1:07 PM
  • I agree with the solution recreating the outlook profile.  Route6668, please verify when you recreate the outlook profile you are changing the name of the profile (default is "outlook" change it to outlook2) or alternatively verify that the ost file is recreating.  

This message appears to be associated with a corrupt ost or pst file.  I just fixed this issue on a machine running windows vista by going to Control panel > mail > Show Profiles   then selecting the current profile, click remove.  after it is removed click add and reconfigure the new account.  after the profile was recreated i opened outlook and outlook stated "preparing use for the first time" which means its recreating the OST file and everything worked like it should from there.

there is a tool scanost.exe in side the MS office folder.  This tool recreates the OST file, but i find it is easier to just go to c:\users\%username%\appdata\local\microsoft\outlook and from there rename (not delete in-case you need to revert).

the file location i provided above is for windows 7, for vista the ost file location is drive:\User\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.

• Proposed as answer by Thunder005 Friday, November 19, 2010 2:42 PM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 2:39 PM
  • I have Outlook 2007 and am not using Exchange and therefore don't have an ost file; just a pst file.

The error suggests closing and reopening Outlook which didn't work. Neither did rebooting the computer. I ran the Outlook Help>Office Diagnosics but it didn't find any error nor fix it.

I then used SCANPST.EXE on my outlook.pst file. It found errors and I had it repair them. This solved the problem. More info on the tool is at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/repair-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-HA010075831.aspx.

I regularly compact my file and periodically run the scanpst tool. Compacting drastically shrinks the file and usually the scanpst finds errors.

Ray F.
    Friday, February 3, 2012 9:47 PM
  • OST is corrupted, just close outlook and rename the OST for the account that is causing the issue and reopen outlook. Outlook will recreate the OST and access to the folders will return.
    Friday, February 10, 2012 4:32 PM