none
Unable to Create, See, Import or Export Favorites from IE 9 on a Vista Business system RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know when this happened.  The machine normally runs unattended and was used infrequently.  I just had a need to use it and when I went to use IE 9 there was no favorites visible.  Attempts to import a copy of previously exported favorites it allows the process to go to the point where select the htm file to import. At this point you get a screen that asks where you want to put store it. ???  The text box displayed is protected and can not be typed in.  I would not expect to be asked to provide a target in any case.  There are no buttons, etc.  Just a stop and no activity.   Attempts to export result in a very similar experience.  

When running and when to tell IE to save a site address in favorites it seems to do it but nothing is ever displayed nor can I find any favorites at all.   The same thing happens if I attempted to target the bookmarkbar which is also not visible. 

Re-installed IE 9 twice, no help.

Gene

Monday, January 12, 2015 5:59 PM

Answers

• Please try re-reading Yolanda Zhu's post.

She is suggesting to use Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) to copy/paste the favorites.

I would suggest :
    - renaming the user profile sub-folders back to exactly how you found them.
    - not using any fixes found for pre-Vista Windows. 
    - for each logged on user, checking the value data for Favorites in these keys

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 11:14 PM
  • Thanks for the pointer to the registry entries.  Both were poining to locations no longer available to the machine.  I don't remember having changed them originally but I must have.  In any case I made a backup of the registy and then edited the two pointers.  All is working correctly now.  This problem is closed.  Thanks to all who responded.

Gene

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 6:46 PM

All replies

• Ok you need to go to the following location to import / export IE Favorites ..

For windows 7 :

C:\Users\userName\Favorites

Replace "userName" with your true Windows Vista or Windows 7 user name.

Location of your Favorites folder in Windows XP

In Windows XP, your Internet Explorer favorites are stored under your user name, at the following location:(replace "userName " with your actual user name)

C:\Documents and Settings\userName\Favorites

How to backup:
    Internet Explorer 8 To export the Favorites folder, follow these steps:
    1. In Internet Explorer, click Favorites , click the down-arrow next toAdd to Favorites , and then clickImport and Export .
    2. Click Export to a file , and then click Next .
    3. Click to select the Favorites check box, and then click Next .
    4. Select the Favorites folder that you want to export. If you want to export all Favorites, select the top level Favorites folder. Otherwise, select the individual folder that you want to export.
    5. Click Next .

Note By default, Internet Explorer creates a Bookmark.htm file in your Documents folder. If you want to use a name other than Bookmark.htm, or if you want to store the exported Favorites in a folder other than the Documents folder, specify the new file and folder name.
    6. Click Next .

Note If you already have a file that has the same name, Internet Explorer asks you to replace it. ClickYes to replace the file. ClickNo to provide a new file name.
    7. Click Export .
    8. Click Finish .

For firefox:-

http://www.firefoxfacts.com/2008/10/21/how-to-backup-firefox-bookmarks/

For chrome :-

http://www.ehow.com/how_5677132_backup-bookmarks-google-chrome.html

Regards, Koustov Choudhury

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 4:12 AM
  • Hi,

As Koustov mentioned already, favorites items are stored under "Favorites" folder under user profile, you can copy favorites (from another "Favorites" folder you previously saved) to that folder, it should be automatically displayed in IE. if you're still unable to view the favorites itmes, then I suggest you check whether the folder "Favorites" is corrupted.

Please feel free post back if you have any questions about this issue.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 6:30 AM
  • Thanks but I don't think you read my first paragraph very closely.  The problem is that you CAN'T import or export favorites.  Most likely because IE9 doesn't think they exist.   See example photos of the place where each operation is stopped. 

Import Operation after having selected the file to be imported and gone to the next screen:

Blank disabled text box, import button does nothing.

Export operation after having selected favorites in the previous screen and pushed the next button:

Blank screen looking for what was given in previous screen.  Perhaps IE9 can't find it either.

Just to make things interesting, I tried a "solution" that was given for Win 95, 98, etc... and renamed all four directories having a folder named FAVORITES.  \user\default\favorites, \user\myusername\favorites, etc.  No help, no change to the symptons at all. 

Gene

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 5:53 PM
  • Please try re-reading Yolanda Zhu's post.

She is suggesting to use Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) to copy/paste the favorites.

I would suggest :
    - renaming the user profile sub-folders back to exactly how you found them.
    - not using any fixes found for pre-Vista Windows. 
    - for each logged on user, checking the value data for Favorites in these keys

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 11:14 PM
  • Thanks for the pointer to the registry entries.  Both were poining to locations no longer available to the machine.  I don't remember having changed them originally but I must have.  In any case I made a backup of the registy and then edited the two pointers.  All is working correctly now.  This problem is closed.  Thanks to all who responded.

Gene

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 6:46 PM
  • Glad to help. Not sure why this thread is not showing as answered in the Forum list.
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:46 AM