Any news about "Send as" an alias? RRS feed

• Question

• Will it be possible to use send as an user alias? 
    Read that this was an prioritezed feature, any new about the progress?
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:30 AM

Answers

• Send as Alias is one of the limitation of the exchange, as a workaround please create a Distribution List in you Admin Center and setup Send-As permission for that DL. Distribution List does not consume license and user can manage the reply back emails in their mailbox.

Friday, December 18, 2009 10:43 PM
  • Hi, what Ramin is saying is that you would create a DL for each alias.  Let's say the user's mailbox address user@companya.com.  You also wanted them to send as user@companyb.com and user@companyc.com.  What you would do is create a distribution group with an alias of user@companyb.com and put user@companya.com as the only member.  You would then grant user@companya.com send as rights to the DL.  Repeat the process for user@companyc.com.  The user could then create rules to seperate out the mail that comes into their mailbox.  When they reply to messages they would just need to change the from Address to reflect the correct alias.

A couple downsides that I can think of.  Really doesn't work through OWA, since you can't send as.  Also your global address list would get a bit messy since you have 5 entries for each user.  If you are using Dir Sync, you could probably hide the DL's from the GAL.

Chad

Chad Mosman, MessageOps | www.MessageOps.com
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:11 PM
  • Unfortunately, they have to change the from address on the message manually.

Chad

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:45 PM
  • The Send as permission is not available in the Admin console, it has to be set through PowerShell.  For details on the command see:

http://www.microsoft.com/online/help/en-us/bpos/html/f83a224b-53c5-48b4-8e72-327571c4555e.htm

Chad
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:42 PM
  • Yes, we have gotten many Service Requests regarding this and have had many performed.
    We can hide Contacts and DL's, but not users - hidden users can't configure mailboxes and are not available in the GAL/OAB to utilize the Send-As permissions.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 8:55 PM
  • Hi, yes if you are using the DL method, the To: address on each message will be unique.  You could access that info in the message and then script something around it.  If you just have 10 alias assigned to a single user I know it won't work because when the message comes into the inbox it always appears that it was sent to the Primary SMTP address of the user.

Chad

Friday, March 19, 2010 12:58 PM
  • My first question would be: are they selecting the From address from the OAB, GAL, or from the AutoComplete cache that pops up when you start typing?  The address has to actually be selected and recognized versus just being typed in.

Also, if picking from the OAB, make sure that the OAB has been updated (may require manually deleting/downloading the OAB if it does not update automatically).  If you select from the GAL (Global Address List) in Outlook, this should provide the live list.

A note for those in this thread: You CAN have the DL's hidden from the GAL, but if you perform this, they won't be available to select in the FROM address.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:59 AM

All replies

• You always had the ability to open a support ticket and have support grant you the send as permission, but now there is a new powershell command, Add-MSOnlineMailPermission, which allows you to do it on your own.  I haven't had a chance to test it out, but I assume it works.  Here is more information on the command:

http://www.microsoft.com/online/help/en-us/bpos/html/f83a224b-53c5-48b4-8e72-327571c4555e.htm

Just make sure you have the latest version of the migration tools installed so the command is available.

Chad
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:05 PM

• Very intereseting link you provided, I know it's possible to send mail as another user, but not that you could powershell it yourself. Thanks!!

However, we are relying quite heavily on aliases and my question concerned the posibility to send as one of your own aliases. I did open a support ticket but they answered that "it's not yet possible". Would be very interesting to know if it will be possible in the near future.

As far as I know the BPOS blog doesn't mention anything on whats soon to be released.

Mikael
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:20 PM
  • Ahh, I see what you are saying.  That's a limitation of on premise Exchange as well.  I know it's not possible in Exchange 2007, and I would guess it isn't possible in 2010.  The only way I know to get around it is to create seperate mailboxes for each alias.  Then grant the user send as rights on each of those mailboxes.  It's messy, confusing, and could get expensive if you have a lot of aliases.

Chad
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:40 PM
  • Yes, and besides that it will/would be expensive there is another major drawback (as far as I understand): It's not possible to create different user accounts with the same username even though they are on different domains. Some kind of moment 22 here. That's why we rely on aliases instead, but now we realise that when answering it will always be from the standard domain.

Again, thanks for helping out! Not sure if there is anything left to do other than hope that the MS-santa will come with a solution on x-mas.

Mikael

Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:59 PM
  • Send as Alias is one of the limitation of the exchange, as a workaround please create a Distribution List in you Admin Center and setup Send-As permission for that DL. Distribution List does not consume license and user can manage the reply back emails in their mailbox.

Friday, December 18, 2009 10:43 PM
  • Hi Ramin,

I didn't notice your answer until now. Would you mind elaborating a bit on it, I'm not quite following but it sounds very interesting. Could this perhaps make it possible for us to move all of our domains to BPOS, today we only have 1 of 5 domains there, the others are POP3 accounts at external provider.

Thanks!
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:41 AM
  • Hi, what Ramin is saying is that you would create a DL for each alias.  Let's say the user's mailbox address user@companya.com.  You also wanted them to send as user@companyb.com and user@companyc.com.  What you would do is create a distribution group with an alias of user@companyb.com and put user@companya.com as the only member.  You would then grant user@companya.com send as rights to the DL.  Repeat the process for user@companyc.com.  The user could then create rules to seperate out the mail that comes into their mailbox.  When they reply to messages they would just need to change the from Address to reflect the correct alias.

A couple downsides that I can think of.  Really doesn't work through OWA, since you can't send as.  Also your global address list would get a bit messy since you have 5 entries for each user.  If you are using Dir Sync, you could probably hide the DL's from the GAL.

Chad

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:11 PM
  • Wow, nice work around! Thanks for pointing out (some of) the downsides, none of them really scares me off!

When answering to  a mail sent to one of the aliases/DL, I guess the user has to remeber to manually set the send-as or will this be set as default (please please)

Mikael

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:19 PM
  • Unfortunately, they have to change the from address on the message manually.

Chad

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:45 PM
  • I guess so. Apart from that, it was an excellent solution. Don't know how common the problem is, maybe we are not that many having several domains and want them all in one outlook configuration.

What is the chance that MS will come up with a solution for this? Perhaps BPOS is nothing for us and our special kind of needs.

Thanks for your help.

Mikael
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:01 PM
  • It's possible to make Outlook do any number of things with VBA.  I have completed tons of projects utilizing VBA in Office app's, mainly Excel and Access, but I could possibly come up with something in Outlook, if you wanted a solution for Outlook that insured your users replied to the email message from the proper email address.

I'm not sure if I understand the complexity of your probllem though (other than the obvious replying to messages with the correct From address - which of course, would have to be implementied with Outlook, and not OWA - if you are interested, we can discuss the details off-line), if BPOS was handling all of your domains, you can give each individual user an account at each domain.  Do the messages to each seperate domain have to come in to different mailboxes? or is aliasing alright?
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 10:27 PM
  • A couple downsides that I can think of.  Really doesn't work through OWA, since you can't send as.  Also your global address list would get a bit messy since you have 5 entries for each user.  If you are using Dir Sync, you could probably hide the DL's from the GAL.

Chad

Has anyone without Dir Sync submitted a support ticket and had DL's hidden from the GAL?  This would be a great future powershell command addition...
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 5:03 AM
  • Where do you find the send as permission on the admin console?

thanks
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:12 PM
  • The Send as permission is not available in the Admin console, it has to be set through PowerShell.  For details on the command see:

Chad
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:42 PM
  • Yes, we have gotten many Service Requests regarding this and have had many performed.
    We can hide Contacts and DL's, but not users - hidden users can't configure mailboxes and are not available in the GAL/OAB to utilize the Send-As permissions.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 8:55 PM
  • Hi Dleakim,

I did a post on grating SendAd permissions to users: http://www.bposrocks.com/2010/02/setting-sendas-of-send-on-behalf-of-permissions-in-exchange-online-bpos.html

Danny Burlage
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 2:44 PM
  • Apologies for digging up this oldie, but I'm trying to sort out a similar setup in our organisation.  We have three domains within MOS, and most staff will need to receive and send from all three; john.smith@example1.com, john.smith@example2.com and john.smith@example3.com.

Following suggestions above I have created a user account for john.smith@example1.com, then tried to create a DL with the alias of john.smith@example2.com.  This fails with the error "This email address is already in use".

Instead I had a crack at adding the second address as an alias to the user, then using the Powershell to grant Send-As permission, though this fails as well (which I assume is the whole point of this conundrum in the first place - no?)

Have I missed something?  Does anyone have a similar configuration successfully running?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:20 AM
  • Hi, I believe you have to create the DL as John.Smith2@example 2.com.  After it's created, go in and change the alias to john.smith@example2.com.  That should work.

Chad

Monday, February 15, 2010 12:31 PM
  • Brilliant Chad! Many thanks - that workaround gets the result I need. And it leaves me with one final question; can we hide DLs ourselves using the powershell, or do I need to raise a service request for this? I feel like I have been hammering the team since we went live yesterday!
    Monday, February 15, 2010 2:10 PM
  • Unless you are using Directory Synchronization, you can't hide them on your own.  I'm not even sure that support is able to hide objects for you.  I haven't tried to open a ticket with support to request something be hidden, but other clients of ours have opened tickets and I believe they were told it couldn't be done.  If you try it, let us know the results.

Chad

Monday, February 15, 2010 3:40 PM
  • Hi

(I just keep forgetting that I don't recieve mail when someone answers in this thread, sorry!)

Maybe we are just making this to hard for ourselfs and I'm just creating confusion with details DL-questions etc when I instead perhaps just should descript what we really want? ;-)

So...

We have four domains and we are nine workers. Everyone needs one mail account for each company. We want everuyhing in MS Online, if possible.

But 36 different user accounts would not only be expensive, but also every user has to remember 4 different passwords. And must sign in and out of outlook constantly to keep up.

Could we, somehow, set up a solution in MS Online with or without VBA-coding, where the users just have one account to remember. All incomming mail goes to one place, and when answering it will automatically be sent from to correct mail address?

Having just one "account" would help a lot when syncing mail to the mobile phones, and when signing in to OWA.

Thanks!

//M

Friday, March 19, 2010 8:34 AM
  •  

...and back to the solution-specific question again: I've read all previous discussions, there are quite a lot of threads covering this topic. As far as I can understand, the best thing for us is to set up DL-for each additional domainaccount, and grant send as with PS. The only drawback would then be that the users has to manually set the from-adress everytime they reply to a email, right?

Is it possible to do a little VBA-code to make Outlook set the right from address when making a new reply?

//Mikael

Friday, March 19, 2010 9:48 AM
  • Hi, yes if you are using the DL method, the To: address on each message will be unique.  You could access that info in the message and then script something around it.  If you just have 10 alias assigned to a single user I know it won't work because when the message comes into the inbox it always appears that it was sent to the Primary SMTP address of the user.

Chad

Friday, March 19, 2010 12:58 PM
  • Thanks, I will go for the DL-solution combined with the signature picker in Outlook. Perhaps MS will come up with something in the future that won't need the users to remeber and manually set the from-address and choose the correct signature everytime they reply to a mail. But it's a start, thanks for all your help!
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 9:48 AM
  • Hi,  We've been trying to do this - have created aliases as dist lists, and then applied SendAs permission in powershell.

When user tries to send email as the alias, it comes back saying that SendOnBehalf permission had not been applied.

What are we doing wrong ? We're using a mix of outlook 03 and 10 - fails in both

Any help gratefully received

Thursday, June 24, 2010 11:39 AM
  • Hi,  We've been trying to do this - have created aliases as dist lists, and then applied SendAs permission in powershell.

When user tries to send email as the alias, it comes back saying that SendOnBehalf permission had not been applied.

What are we doing wrong ? We're using a mix of outlook 03 and 10 - fails in both

Any help gratefully received

Thursday, June 24, 2010 11:46 AM
  • My first question would be: are they selecting the From address from the OAB, GAL, or from the AutoComplete cache that pops up when you start typing?  The address has to actually be selected and recognized versus just being typed in.

Also, if picking from the OAB, make sure that the OAB has been updated (may require manually deleting/downloading the OAB if it does not update automatically).  If you select from the GAL (Global Address List) in Outlook, this should provide the live list.

A note for those in this thread: You CAN have the DL's hidden from the GAL, but if you perform this, they won't be available to select in the FROM address.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:59 AM
  • HI

I know this post is a little old, but thought it worthwhile to post our experience up here for future reference.

The powershell commands listed above work fine. We however were having issues with a couple of sendas distribution lists - summary: some worked. Some didnt.

After testing/tea leave reading, we found the distribution lists where sendas was not working were set to hide from the global  address book. This was so we didnt confuse people with duplicate names in the GAL.

once those addresses were no longer hidden, we were able to sendas without a problem.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:59 PM