Cannot solve 'You must specify a value for this required field' error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have SharePoint 2010 based intranet application that has a custom masterpage with a custom webpart embedded in it. I have a wiki page added to the site pages that has a XsltListView Webpart. When I try to add/edit the list item from the wiki page, I get 'You must specify a value for this required field' error pop-up. I have tried almost all the solutions discussed in MSDN forum but no luck.

Also, if I delete the webpart from custom page, the error does not show up. but the webpart needs to be in the master page as that is the requirement.

Is there any workaround ? All the help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gaurav Hombali

Gaurav Hombali
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:13 PM

Answers

• Thanks Jean,

I have done the exact same thing and it was not working. I found a workaround though. In my master page webpart, I am checked if a page is in the edit mode, and if it is in the edit mode, I re-navigated the page to the same link. This ignores the unsaved page and loads the previously saved page. Since I do not have any wiki content on the page this approach works fine for me.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,

Gaurav Hombali

Gaurav Hombali
    • Marked as answer by G Hombali Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:49 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:49 PM

All replies

• Hi, Maybe error in the custom master Page or WebPart? Is it you who coded the two? Regards,
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:19 PM
  • Hi Jean,

Thank you for your reply. I copied the v4.master and added a custom webpart in the left navigation pane using sharepoint designer. I have designed master page as well as the webpart.

I read somewhere (i cannot find the reference link now) that since a webpart zone can't be added to the master page, the added webpart acts as a control itself. But if that is the case, any other added control such as asp:Label should result in the error. but it is not. Any thoughts ?

Thanks and Regards,

Gaurav

Gaurav Hombali
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:02 AM
  • Hi,

I added a WebPart in the left navigation pane a long time ago.

I used this links to help me (one is for MOSS2007 but it was hepful):

http://www.sharepointkings.com/2009/09/add-web-part-inside-master-page-in-moss.html

http://blog.degree.no/2010/12/sharepoint-2010-show-webpart-in-masterpage/

Regards,

• Unmarked as answer by G Hombali Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:49 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:52 PM
  • Thanks Jean,

I have done the exact same thing and it was not working. I found a workaround though. In my master page webpart, I am checked if a page is in the edit mode, and if it is in the edit mode, I re-navigated the page to the same link. This ignores the unsaved page and loads the previously saved page. Since I do not have any wiki content on the page this approach works fine for me.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,

Gaurav Hombali

Gaurav Hombali
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:49 PM
  • Nice :)
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 5:32 PM