none
Cannot pair Apple Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to pair my Apple Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard on Windows 10, I get the following error message saying "That passcode isn't right. Try adding your keyboard again." The issue is the pairing process never asks for the passcode in the first place and throws this error.

Similar thing happens in Windows 7 when I try to pair this device over Bluetooth. I get an error message saying "Adding this device failed because of an authentication error."

However, in Windows 7 I can get around this by right clicking on the device before it pairs and then ticking the un-ticked option "Drivers for keyboard, mice, etc (HID)" which is un-ticked by default and pressing OK.

After this step, Windows installs some HID drivers and the keyboard works perfectly!

The big problem in Windows 10 is that I can no longer do this because of the Metro UI. I simply can't right click on a Bluetooth device when it appears in the pairing window and make changes to any advanced settings like I did in Windows 7 to pair the device.

Does anyone know a way to pair this keyboard on Windows 10? Is there a way to go back to classic Windows user interface temporarily to do this similar to in Windows 7?

Why does Windows 10 throw an authentication error without even providing a prompt to enter a passcode?

I wish the Metro UI would be toned back more, especially in Windows 10 configuration areas.

Also I tired to attach screenshots to better explain the problem but the forum is too precious about me being "verified" to do this.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 12:43 AM

Answers

• So I solved the problem. I replaced my old BT 2.0 dongle with a 4.0 dongle. I figured this would help as I read BT specification 4.0 has better pairing reliability compared to 2.0. And that was exactly right, I was presented with the PIN prompt when pairing and I was finally able to pair. Then I also managed to copy the pairing key from Windows 10 registry to Windows 7 registry and have both OSes pair automatically when booted.

It still doesn't excuse Windows 10 of reducing functionality over a supposedly better UI. Windows 7 had the capability to pair without the need for a PIN. Conclusion is that Windows 10 doesn't properly support BT 2.0. So better upgrade your hardware to BT 4.0 if you're having issues.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:31 AM

All replies

• Hi pasan_,

I think you should still be able to manage bluetooth device under Control Panel/Hardware and sound/Device and Printers, take a try to configure the settings under Control Panel.

Besides, right click the Start and then open Device Manager to check the keyboard status.

In addition, please also take a try to contact the manufacturer side and see if they could offer any further assistance.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 5:30 AM
  • Hi Michael, I looked in the Control Panel and Device Manager but the keyboard doesn't/won't appear until it is paired.

The problem arises in the pairing Window because I can't right click on the Bluetooth device in the Metro UI to get to advanced settings. 

Can someone please verify my account so I can attach screenshots and better explain this?

You can see the problem description with screenshots here - answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/cannot-pair-apple-wireless-bluetooth-keyboard/6209e56b-4b22-4700-b7f5-ff45d90e64ac?auth=1

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 8:05 AM
  • You can attach Apple Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard with Windows 10 if you are using a Mac and Windows 10 is installed on that Apple system via Boot Camp.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Windows 10 is a standalone installation on a PC. This has nothing to do with bootcamp. I am simply trying to pair a bluetooth keyboard with Windows 10. Windows 7 with the same hardware has no problem because I can access advanced settings during pairing.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 10:51 AM
    • In Windows 10's bluetooth settings (can be found in system tray), click on the icon and then click "Add Bluetooth Device".
    • Then, on the Apple Wireless Keyboard, hold down Command + W, while Windows is searching for bluetooth devices.
    • Then (hopefully) after it finds your Keyboard, it will want to pair with it. Follow the on screen prompts and eventually you will have to type in a pairing code.
    • Type in this code and hit Return.
    • Your Keyboard should successfully pair with Windows 10 via the Mac's Bluetooth

Re:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7156437?start=0

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 12:54 PM
  • During my extensive search for a slution I came across this too. It doesnt do anything. I came here because this is an issue not addressed elsewhere on the Internet. I need the help of a real Windows expert here. Are there any on this forum?
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 8:38 PM
  • Is there a way to go back to classic Windows user interface temporarily to do this similar to in Windows 7?

You may try downloading and installing Classic Shell

This will help you to get a classical interface.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 5:46 AM
  • Hi pasan_,

Follow the article below to verify your account:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15960.how-to-verify-your-msdntechnet-forums-account-so-that-you-can-post-images-and-links.aspx

Usually forums are the place where folks who share experiences with each other.

By the way, check the more bluetooth options under:

1. Select  Start  >  Settings  >  Devices  >  Bluetooth.

2. Select  More Bluetooth options  to find more Bluetooth settings.

More reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-sg/windows-10/fix-connections-to-bluetooth-audio-devices-and-wireless-displays#v1h=tab01

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:14 AM
  • So I solved the problem. I replaced my old BT 2.0 dongle with a 4.0 dongle. I figured this would help as I read BT specification 4.0 has better pairing reliability compared to 2.0. And that was exactly right, I was presented with the PIN prompt when pairing and I was finally able to pair. Then I also managed to copy the pairing key from Windows 10 registry to Windows 7 registry and have both OSes pair automatically when booted.

It still doesn't excuse Windows 10 of reducing functionality over a supposedly better UI. Windows 7 had the capability to pair without the need for a PIN. Conclusion is that Windows 10 doesn't properly support BT 2.0. So better upgrade your hardware to BT 4.0 if you're having issues.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:31 AM
  • OK.

Thanks for the udpate.

If any further questions, please feel free to ask in TechNet.

Regards

Thursday, April 14, 2016 8:00 AM
  • Go to Bluetooth settings, click add Bluetooth device > Bluetooth. Select the device, input any 8 digit pass code in field asking for keyboard PIN using build in or any other working keyboard, then click pair, after pairing process starts put the same 8 digit pass code on your Apple keyboard and hit enter. It should say paired now and you are all set.
    Saturday, October 20, 2018 12:25 AM
  • hi bro what i did its the netxt

go to control panel, you can search it on windows bar

then go to devices and printers

add a device

you have to remove the batteries from about 20 seconds

then you put it againt and turn it on , the keyboard light have to blink so it mean that its on searching mode

then you select apple keyboard on the list in the add device menu

then it will display something like "enter de pin or passcoode" , you have to select the option below ..i dont remember what it says but is the only option there ... then it will ask you to enter some numbers on the keyboard and when you finish press enter , then it will install some drivers and its done!! :D  sometimes you have to press the power buton 1 time to exit from the search mode but do it after windows install all the drivers :v

Thursday, December 27, 2018 6:27 PM